1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Starting Taking 2 Attempts When Not In Use For 1 Week

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pras, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Is this something Exige's leads would help with ?

This is when the bike is not in use for more than 1 week (on an optimate whilst in garage)
    It fires up fine when I use it every day.

I hate wasting money on the wrong parts as I have done in the past when I had big bore kits in my bikes - making them struggle to start and people recommending higher CCA Batteries or uprated starters when in actual fact it made bugger all difference.

2. Yes :Angelic:

Here is a review from my web site (there are many on here).
    This bike had been in and out of Woods Ducati for months trying to get it starting properly (Sue knows the owner and took the bike straight to him to show him the results) and he has since purchased kits from me, they are also on the front page of my web site along with others)
    Stu

Hi Guys

I just had to email you with a little more in depth feedback. I have to admit being a little sceptical that this kit could fix the problem let alone make the outstanding difference to my 1098 it has.
    The kit arrived rapidly and on opening it i was struck by the quality of the instructions with some very clear photographs and directions. I was impressed that everything you need was included, the
    only thing I was surprised was missing was a tool list but hey thats prety obviouse when you come to do it. The whole job is easily carried out and the end result was truely amazing, before fiting
    the bike would not turn over after spun up and fired in seconds. The whole bike rides and runs better and even if left a couple of days starts with prior to fitting not a chance without an opitmizer.
    Thank you very much £80 does seem on the face of it to be a lot for 3 cables but once fitted they are priceless.

Thanks

Sue:)

• Love You Love You x 1
  3. I'll let you know tomorrow... going to start the multistrada after 3 weeks in garage, no optimate.

4. Did mine after over 2 months. First press.

Sounds like possibly spragg or charging problem

• Like Like x 1
  5. I had an SS that was a nightmare to start because it turned over so slowly and it would often seem to start as I took my finger off the button as though the current draw from the starter motor was leaving insufficient juice for the motor to fire.
    When I got a 999, I expected all that to be a thing of the past but it wasn't, it was just the same.
    I got a cable kit and an AGM Yuasa and haven't looked back. If the motor took more than half a second to fire now, I'd be disappointed.
    No more iffy starting for me.
    Best money I've ever spent on any bike.

6. Fitted the exact start leads today. Excellent service from Exact/Stu - posted for next day delivery.

So far no improvement in starting the bike.
    If anything it sometimes started quicker then in the video...

Will see if there is any improvement in starting when the bike hasn't been used in a while.

7. No improvement?
    I'm amazed...
    Did you fit an AGM Yuasa at the same time?
    A chain is only as strong as its weakest link...

8. Battery is only 4 months old and always on an optimate

9. Tbh, having watched the video, it wasn't turning over too badly before the cable swap, it was more that it started then stopped again. Is it still doing that?
    Is it an AGM battery? If so, it should be fine. AGM have much better cca than conventional lead acid, so pack a bigger starting punch for our big v twins.

10. Looking back to back at both videos, it does spin markedly faster after the cable swap and only needed one press of the starter as well

11. Glad you said that OR, I listed to both video's and the bike cranks much faster in the second vid, probably 50% faster - but wasn't sue if it was my rose tinted glasses! :cool: yes is took the 3rd turn of the engine to fire but I'm sure you will see an improvement going forward. There could be another minor issue / fuel / plugs / TPS but I'm sure it's spinning much faster now and the minor issue whatever it is will be masked by the faster spinning starter...
    See how it goes and let me know :upyeah:

12. I clearly stated in my original post and thread title that the bike struggled to start when left for a week and it was fine when starting everyday.
    So you cannot compare the 2 videos.
    When the bike is used everyday - All I can see so far is that it doesn't start the bike any quicker than it did before fitting the cables.
    In fact it sometimes started quicker than it did on this video prior to fitting the cables.

13. My 1098 often wouldn't start on the first push of the button. It never bothered me. It always started on the second or third. It did used to start slightly easier if I opened the throttle by the tiniest amount before pressing the button...

14. Several years now since I started my 1098 but I do recall similar problems before I fitted a Nemesis ecu. Could be a case of getting a decent map on the ecu with particular attention to cold start set up. Even after fitting the Nemesis I still found that it would sometimes stall in first couple of minutes running from cold.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Does this mean the cables are for sale???

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. Ill let you know once I had the chance to test it again when the bike wasn't started for a few days... will probably go out this weekend so in about a weeks time

17. Well, they seem to work looking at the video's :) but I will offer a refund if you're not happy anyway :Angelic: I've sold a few hundred now on Ebay all over the world with no issues and have many very happy customers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. My T9 started 1st press today after about 3 weeks. I have the @Exige cables.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

19. I'll drop you a pm!

• Like Like x 1
  20. My multi started first press after nearly 3 months. It doesn't have Exige cables or an optimate. Juts adding for balance ;)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information