1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting To Identify Problems - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Jonathan Mark Vardy, Sep 13, 2018.

1. OK guys and gals.
    Since I joined, all you lot have done is take the mickey out of my bins... (they featured in my first post on the new I thread)

I think it’s time to set you to work now! Ha ha.

1996 900 SS - just got the other day.

Stripping bits and bobs down to see what needs doing. (How expensive a problem it is going to turn out to be)

Looks like there’s a leak on front fork seals and the rear ‘bushing’ on the rear shock has a bit of play to it.

Exhausts (non-standard vipers I think) are poorly mounted and don’t make a good seal. Most other things are basically just tidying up jobs which are fine (I hope).

The most worrying thing I have at the moment is visible oil on the left hand side and the underside of the motor.

I’ve included pics, but was wondering what you lot think. Where should I start investigating?

Could it simply be an over-zealous chain oiling?

Leak from horizontal cylinder?

Leak from oil cooler?

Hydraulic clutch?

Or something else.

Cheers

8EC6AFDE-1571-43FD-B146-689CDC7B7670.jpeg

91A69904-8CFD-4AD7-833E-DDC6945632F4.jpeg

AE1D0860-789F-4A6F-BDCC-87EF312995F0.jpeg

2. You should thoroughly clean it first. What a mess. And it will help you diagnose problems and weak spots easier.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Agree with above, a good clean and then have a good look around, the mess around the front sprocket could well be chain lubricant.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Great advice guys.
    It’s a right mess underneath.

Got carried away and took all fairings off. I did get a few more pics but it doesn’t show any more. You are right, need to get it cleaned up.

The problem I think I’m gunner have is that the bike is currently not running. It’s without a battery. In great need of a full service, including belts before turning a piston really. Some/most of which will need to be done again if I have to strip the motor down :-/

It’s not dripping while stood and there is still oil in the engine.

5. Cheers Martin.
    You’re about the only one who didn’t pass comment on my lovely bins.

Wait until the spring when I have her feckled and I can ride her to a lovely spot, absent of bins and she’ll shine

6. ocd is screaming at the moment....strip down!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Does it have a scott oiler fitted?

8. On your first picture in your introduction, it was clear there was oil a plenty underneath it.You say it's not running, Had you oiled the chain in this pic?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also This picture interests me the most so a clean would help

9. She needs some tlc !!!!

I kinda took a sharp intake of breath but I’m hoping a bit of a clean up and maybe she is ok *prays*

10. My old Monster (same motor) had the clutch seal go and you could see the weep trying to lift the paint, also the clutch reservoir will drop as you pump the clutch to check for that one. When I chopped it in the vertical cylinder had a leak from the bottom but that would be more obvious.

11. Welcome to the forum Johnathan, looks like the old gal has had a hard life, nothing that can’t be sorted though, I’ve got a 91 900ss and they are great bikes, as the others said a good clean first then belts and battery and see how she goes, do you know how long it’s been since last run?, if more than a few months whip the carbs off and give them a service, in fact do that anyway as partially blocked jets affect starting etc.
    Anyway I’m sure it’s got the makings of a stunner with a bit of work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. if that's got a scott oiler I wouldn't say its done that chain much good from the rust on it lol
    anyway agree it needs a good clean to see where oil is worse if it is oil
    main places fluid could come from

clutch slave cylinder common fault
    output shaft seal
    clutch pushrod seal faulty
    or as I found stripped threads for the bolts for the side casing letting oil weep cleaned helicoiled threads jobs a good un

don't worry how much things are going to cost usually not much when looked into :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information