1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Steering A Barge ??

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Slowman, Aug 24, 2018.

1. So I have fitted a new chain and sprocket kit with a quick change rear and gone to a 14 tooth on the front. Definitely nicer to ride at low speeds and now lifts the front wheel in 2nd under acceleration. But
    When fitting the new chain I rotated the hub clockwise to loosen the chain and then rotated it anticlockwise to tension the chain. I didn't measure how far it had moved but seemed a fair bit. Now when cornering it doesn't seem as nimble as previous .
    Is this possibly due to the wheelbase being shorter ?? or should I have rotated the hub anticlockwise so the eccentric would be above the Centreline when tensioning the chain and therefore rotate clockwise to tension it ? Or as I haven't ridden the 1098 for a month is it my imagination? I did ride the 748 a few days ago and seems nimbler than the 1098 now does.

2. I know sod all about the black arts that are suspension, I'm that pants at riding I just don't notice the finer points

Could be all wrong but does the hub not alter the ride height at the rear? That's why you have an adjustable tie rod on the suspension linkage.

That would be the first thing I'd check if you've lowered it there won't be so much weight on the front and it would feel slower to turn in

Of course I could just be imagining all this

3. You need to rest ride height to get it where it was before. Adjustable tie rod. Probably what Rocky has linked to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Link was a good read. Definitely seems I need to use the adjuster and raise the ride height. Only problem now is I don't have any measurements from it before and don't have the fancy tool either. Will have a play with the height over the weekend as it was nice and sunny today so went for a cruise down the coast following some twat in a boxster that he thought was fast

5. Can you put it back and measure it, then adjust spcjain correctly?

TBH I’d just add a few mm, maybe 5 to start, sit on it and see if it feels as tall as before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeah I will adjust it 5mm and go for a ride with some tools in my backpack and have a fiddle

7. Mind you don't get reported... :eek:

8. You’ve changed to a smaller front sprocket so the rear needed moving backwards to tighten the chain. This made the bike a bit longer so slower to steer. In the racing world we use different length chains to maintain wheelbase at a magic value the rider prefers.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I will count the links on the old chain and new chain to compare.I know the old chain would have stretched and was on a 15 tooth sprocket and the new is on a 14 tooth but would have expected it to be close to where it was originally but it is a fair bit more forward towards the swing arm.

10. A little follow up on this as it was pissing me off.
    I had the forks rebuilt firstly by a professional as I figured they were likely in need of new oil at least being ten years old.
    Secondly I had the suspension set up again by the same guy. Massive improvement and lastly summer is coming so put some new pirellis on it. Wow. Beautiful to ride now so the 748 is once again dormant in the shed.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Get the 748 out again soon! I never cease to be amazed how good a bike the 748 is when I get back on it after riding more powerful models. So useable and just a smile a mile, vastly underated and appreciated which I guess is why I've ended up with two of them .
    Also makes the 1098 feel more of an animal as well so it's a win win for you.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information