1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 S Steering Damper

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Karl Chapman, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Hi could anyone tell me any good steering dampers and fitting kits
    Cheers

2. On the ducati uk website!!!
    Equipment-Accessories
    code 96280161A
    Öhlins adjustable steering damper
    Öhlins adjustable steering damper. This steering damper is a gem of engineering, a must-have to reduce handlebar vibration and improve motorcycle stability. It comes with billet aluminium brackets.
    £ 574.54

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. You could try Hyper Pro. I have one on my track bike and have been very pleased. 1200 Monster might be a bit new though. Andy

4. Ill give the ohlins one a go i think
    Cheers

5. Hyper Pro don't do one for the 1200... unfortunately.

Which one do you have on your track bike? They do two different ones.

6. I had a look at the Matris SDR. It's a lot neater than the Ohlins lump IMHO. There is a fitting kit for the 1200S (per the link) but it took me a lot of googling to find someone selling it in the UK. I did find a UK outlet but I don't have the details because I decided to get the suspension set up properly first. It was the right decision because it calmed the bike right down. The bike was a bit scary before the set up. It waggled its bars a helluva lot when cornering on uneven surfaces, even crossing the white line would induce it. The front wheel lifted a lot too, especially when I was overtaking. It's huge fun passing a car with your front wheel off the ground but I wasn't trying to wheelie and I'd often have to back off and that isn't so good during an overtake. So, if you think you need a steering damper because the bike feels light at the front and twitchy I'd recommend a suspension setup if you haven't had it done. The factory settings on the ohlins was pretty crap on my bike. The rebound needed slowed down a lot. It now handles superbly. The setup only cost about £40 as I recall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. My setting up cost about £165 because the shims on one leg were not damping so they put a basic set of race shims - transformed the bike from 'vague and nervous, into accurate, responsive and solid.

8. B44D7896-9C08-41D1-814C-6843EB4C63B6.jpeg B0F497B5-261D-4105-8285-24DD44B17104.jpeg Fitted this to my M1200 took 1/2 hour everything lined up and fitted perfect, beg steal or borrow a low torque wrench 5Nm and up.
    And follow the recommended torque settings, that way you won’t under tighten or overstress the fasteners.
    Made by Matris

#8 hypermotbloke, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  9. Really nice setup. Good one.

10. How much for the damper and brackets?

11. Got this on eBay (bike torque racing) SBK set £435
    Fast delivery.
    11 settings I think the R version has 13.
    As I ride on road I did not see the need for the racing set up

Do Not Sell My Personal Information