1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Damper

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by duke_hyper, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Has anyone fitted a steering damper to their hyperstrada/motard? Steering on mine starts to get light around 80+ and was wondering if a damper may cure this.

2. Haha - that'll be you hanging on too tightly, being blown back by 80+ wind! Try leaning forward a bit to load up the front wheel more - 'tis what I do.
    Having said that, I feel that a steering damper would be a good addition to my non-SP Hyper for 'spirited' bumpy-road riding as the forks are non-adjustable. I agree with every suspension expert who says sort the suspension both ends before considering a steering damper...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hi! I have the original ohlins from ducati in a 950Sp, worth the money, i can go at 200km/h and no problem i feel safe. (in the "track")
    20190908_133507.jpg 20190529_193139.jpg 20190529_193142.jpg 20190908_133755.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Noticed something about the Ducabike damper setup.

Watch the attached video of my installation.

I have the Ohlins damper set to max resistance. The bars are still very easy to move, and at the end of the range, when the bar hits the stop, there is some creep in the damper rod which indicates some elasticity in the system not being taken up by the damper. It indicates some flex/bend of other component(s), perhaps the attachment brackets.

Furthermore, I find it odd that at max resistance the damper does not practically lock the steering.

What say you?

5. I'd say that the damper operation is compromised by being attached so closely to the steering axis - you're getting very little linear movement. Also, yes, there's some flex in the system which, combined with the max setting, is making it 'creep' at end of travel. I thought (limited research done) that the only suitable hyper damper is a rotary (ugly) one...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Further investigation, which I will catch on video when I get another set of hands, reveals that the center bracket actually flexes under load with max ohlins resistance.

Crappy damper bracket design seems to be the issue. Disappointing.

7. Be interesting to measure total damper-rod movement as it looks like you've got very little. Dampers need travel distance to absorb the energy they're asked to get rid of. This is why you've had to set it at max.

8. Interesting point. Yet, I have a center mounted GPR damper on my R6 and that has very little lever arm being center mounted, but it works like a charm.

gpr.PNG

9. I'll have to get off my phone and onto my laptop later to clarify what I wrote earlier. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have the ohlins damper on my hyper and it works perfect and without flex. You need to loosen the clamp and move the body more to the left. Mine does not use up max travel at either end when at full lock.

11. That is easy enough to try but I am not sure why it would make a difference. The clamp mount is not sturdy enough to withstand the force against it when the damper is set to higher resistance levels. The actual bracket bends.

I will try as you describe and see if that make s a difference.

12. It will help a lot. I managed to get a ride in on mine (winter here) and it made a signifcant difference in feel with just five clicks in from full soft. I have never needed a damper to be close to full stiff but I know everyone is different. Set the damper body so you have equal rod length at full lock left and right and so nothing bottoms or binds,

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'll look on their site for a contact email address this evening 'cos you've got me interested in one for my 939 now;)

14. I got this response, which does not satisfy. Had dampers on other bikes and the mounting never flexed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear customer,

as suggested by Ohlins, the steering damper musn’t be set to the maximum resistance because the bike should be very difficult to ride.

Anyway the problem about the design you’re talking about isn’t a real problem but a precise choice: the system is a damper of the road vibration and forces, so it has to be flexible!

We sold about 1.000 pieces, we tested it for a thousands kilometres and we’ve never had issues about. We hope you’ll try it and enjoy the ride.

Regards

Marco

[​IMG] [​IMG]

OFFICINA GANDOLFI

Via M.Serenari 33/E, Castel Maggiore - Bologna (Italy)

Phone:+39 051.328462

Web: www.ducabike.com E-mail: [email protected]

15. in other words they are politely saying bugger off

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Exactly. The damper function will be compromised by insecure mounting. The mount is not designed to flex.

Is your rear shock mounted to allow for the attachment points to flex under load?

Disappointing that Ducabike has no desire to fix an obvious flaw.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information