1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Steering Lock Won't Lock

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by PompeyBoxer, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Hi chaps.
    I have base model 1200 DVT 2017. Bike has been fine until now. It is used pretty much every day with the same routine. Go to work put steering lock on. Leave work and go home, steering lock not applied at home. Up to now I have had no issues.
    Last week I was away on business, bike at home with no steering lock on. Back to work today, get to work and apply steering lock an nothing happens. Basically when the bike is turned off, when the button is pressed and held the dash will display 'hold for steering lock' or whatever it says normally after a few seconds the solenoid kicks in and the bolt is apply followed by a message that the steering is locked. Today after the first message nothing happens, no solenoid or no message. No noises indicating that the bolt is trying to activate so it looks like a sensor or power issue.

I applied a little WD40 to the bolt to see if there is some shit in there. I have also tried the red key and symptoms are the same. Bike turns over and starts ok so I don't think it is battery related to either the bike battery. Also the hands free system is working fine so I don't think the problem is with the key fob.

I have looked through the service manual and the wiring diagram and cannot find the steering lock or what fuse it is feed from.

Any ideas before I go off to the Ducati dealer. I am off to France in 2 weeks so at this stage I am thinking it is better to leave the lock off and use a disk lock until I get back and then get it into Ducati.

Any ideas/ advice greatfully received

2. Disconnect battery for 24hrs and see if it can reset itself?

3. Laava thanks for your input. Can't really so this until next weekend. I would be concerned if this fixed it as next time it could lock in the ON position.....

4. Lol, that would be annoying to say the least!
    I would check the wiring connections as well but failing that, you are probably having to head to your dealer I guess...

5. Had another plod through and to confirm a few things;
    1. All fuses are good and bike battery is fine when standing an cranking.
    2. If I hid the fob and use the emergency button and enter the pin the fault is the same.
    3. Lock fails to work with handlebars to the left and to the right.

I suspect this is a dealer issue as I think the steering lack and the emergency start button are all one module without replaceable parts. I have even manually pushed in the limit switched and the behaviour remains the same....bugger

6. Never use it for fear it would not unlock, the polar opposite of your problem.

7. I use mine all the time with no issues...(touch wood), but I also liberally spray the steering lock area inc the steering switch arms with GT85 on a regular basis

8. I guess, like me, you are hoping that someone who has had "exactly" the same problem as you, would also have a solution....tbh, 9 times out of ten it has been worth asking the question! I have been waiting since feb to get my bike fixed, have had conversations with some real techno wizzards, have a good Ducati mechanic who is highly recommended but still am waiting...hope you get it sorted...

#8 laava, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. Cheers buddy. I am going to speak with the dealer today. Fortunately the local dealer (Snells at Alton) are really helpful so will see what they say.

Will probably live with it until I get back from France incase there are issues with spares etc. Will post the final solution in case anybody else has the same issue for future reference.

Good luck with getting yours back on the road.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I can't be very helpful, but mine failed to lock a couple of times just as you describe. Then it just started working again. I had the same issue with the fuel gauge. Showing completely empty for a day or two, then Full for a day or two, then started working properly again and has been fine for weeks. Have you tried it again?

11. Ducati supplied solenoids used to be notoriously dodgy, had issues with ignition solenoid on my 96 Monster and side stand safety switch solenoid on my 02 ST4 - both identical solenoids with yellow top - worth checking

12. Thanks for you input. I have been trying the steering lick most days to see if the status is the same. Upto now I have not had a single issue with it so I am thinking it is terminal.
    Regarding checking the solenoid it appears that the steering lock is integrated with the emergency button so I don't think it is possible to check. Not willing to pull it apart as the bike is still under warranty.

Bike is booked in with Ducati for assessment mid July as they can see what the issue is. The service manager did say that they have seen a few similar cases before so I don't think this is a one off. Thanks again for your input.

• Like Like x 2
  13. do the switch arms that detect the bike is on full lock seem to be ok ?
    you can see them behind the headstock, in front of the emergency button.
    You could try pushing one of the arms, bit further, see if it helps.

Imo it will either be its not detecting the bike is on full lock, so wont activate, or the solenoid itself is fecked. They are both in the same module anyway.

14. for model year 2010-2012 there is a Handsfree update which bypasses the 2 limit switches.
    Ducati RS SAT 876

• Like Like x 1
  15. John. Thanks for the advice. I have tried holding the switches in with a screwdriver and it made no difference so I think the solenoid is fecked as you suggest.

As the bike is under warranty I am going to let the dealer sort it out.

Thanks for you thoughts

16. Well mine remained locked and had to be towed away. Turned out that the gearing inside the lock is Teflon or plastic as a result some teeth were sheared off and could not get it to unlock. Do you get the steering locked message( yellow)after the initial pressing( green)??

17. The steering lock failed twice on mine both times needing recovery fixed under warranty I stopped using it
    It's Ducatis convoluted answer to a problem that didn't exist just like keyless ignition

18. I have the Base model with monochrome display rather than the TFT. So it is slightly different. When I turn the ignition off and hold the button I get the first message which says 'hold to lock the steering' if you keep the Bilston depressed after a couple of seconds in the past you would here the solenoid kick in. But now nothing happens so it appears for some reason the solenoid is not activated.

Agree it is an over complicated system for something so simple. Now I carry a disk lock with me until I can get it resolved although now there will always be that element of doubt. Could be worse at least it failed in the 'friendly' state and not locked...

19. Must have been supplied from the VW/Audi boot release/lock parts bin - they all do that sir!

20. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information