1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Sticky Gear Lever Return

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by PeteKeys, May 22, 2017.

1. Hi all.

Just over a year and 5,000 miles from new. Bike has been perfect until now. Just yesterday it developed an issue where when I go down the box, sometimes the gear lever doesn't return from the bottom position. So say going from 4th to 3rd, as it doesn't come back to the centre, you can't press it down to second again. I can bring it back up with my foot.

I haven't found any posts with anyone else experiencing problems.

Just thought I'd check on here first, but tonight i'll strip off the external parts and make sure everything is clean.

2. It could be that the external mechanism is binding due to a build up grime or hardedned lubricant and will be an easy fix. It could also be the gear mechanism return spring within the box which is not a simple fix. If you have the time and the inclination to look at the simple route, do it. If it doesn't solve the problem, I'm afraid it's a conversation with your dealer for a repair under warranty. Andy

3. thanks - hopefully its binding up as you say. probably likely as its intermittent. I'll take a look tonight

4. Speaking to someone yesterday who had something replaced in the gearbox for this under warranty. There is a new part, so seems as though a few have suffered the same issue.

5. I've had this issue with mine, I strpped and cleaned the lever but it has'nt made much difference tbh. I shall have to get it booked in.

6. Out of curiosity do any of you keep getting neutral ? Also going up the box i.e. selecting 5th and it stays in 4th ?

Dealer has suggested adjusting to a lower position, but it is has low as the adjustment allows, other option is to adjust on the spline !

7. No I don't have a neutral problem.

Luckily I don't have a sticking problem either now - I took out the pivot, cleaned and greased it and seems to be ok!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information