1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Sticky Request - Track Record Oil Consumption Dvt Engines

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, Dec 6, 2018.

?
  1. '15 - NO. (nothing or not worth noting)

18.3%
  2. '15 - YES. Worth mentioning, definitely needs topping up but stays under the limit of 1L/3000km=1800

30.0%
  3. '15 - YES. Extreme or abnormal = everything beyond the limit of 1L/3000km/1800mi

3.3%
  4. '16 - NO. (nothing or not worth noting)

10.0%
  5. '16 - YES. Worth mentioning, needs topping up but stays under the limit of 1L/3000km=1800mi

13.3%
  6. '16 - YES. Extreme or abnormal = everything beyond the limit of 1L/3000km/1800mi

5.0%
  7. '17 - NO. (nothing or not worth noting)

10.0%
  8. '17 - YES. Worth mentioning, needs topping up but stays under the limit of 1L/3000km=1800mi

11.7%
  9. '17 - YES. Extreme or abnormal = everything beyond the limit of 1L/3000km/1800mi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1260 - YES. Extreme or abnormal = everything beyond the limit of 1L/3000km/1800mi

5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. In an attempt to collect information on a bigger scale concerning the (in)famous oil consumption of Ducati's relatively new DVT engines, I hereby want to ask DVT owners to pick an option so that we may see confirmation, or not, that the first model years from '15 are problematic in terms of oil consumption.

I've heard from 3 different Ducati dealers in my country that DVT's are known for their oil consumption, and one dealer spoke of an acceptable limit of 1L/3000km=1800miles.
    If you own a DVT, you know your engine (could possibly) consumes oil, from own experience or from others.

I bought mine with +/- 11.000km, and started collecting data from the start.
    For the first 9.000km I owned it, untill 20.000km on the ODO, it consumed about 2L of oil, thats an average of 1L/4500km. That was with 10w40 Motul oil.
    From there on it kept going worse.
    So at 26.000km I switched to official Ducati approved Shell Ultra 4T 15w50 (SN API2)
    But stayed at around 1L/3000km and never got worse than 1L/3000km.

My current dealer confirmed the 2015 models are potentially problematic but after the first year Ducati supposedly fixed the issue....?
    They supposedly changed used materials on the internals, according to my dealer.
    However I red a comment here that apparently there were a batch of pistons that were not correctly machined/coated...who'll know.

Anyhow, if everybody can chime in, we might see a correlation between oil consumption and build years.

1 question & 3 options per modelyear (from '15 to the latest 1260 engines).

I realise the difference between answers 1 and 2 are not devided by clear borders or numbers and leaves open to personal opinions, because what one person finds a lot, another may find not worth mentioning, since its difficult to put a specific number to differentiate the two, I'rather leave that one open.
    But lets say if you need a bottle of oil when going on a trip you might be tempted to answer answer 2 instead of answer 1 :)

Unfortunatelly the number of possible responses are limited, so I could not add all the 3 optional answers for the 1260 owners.
    That is why I opted to offer the most extreme answer only.
    Because if Ducati did fix the issue, we should not see any 1260 with an extreme oil consumpation higher than 1L/3000km=1800miles.

The results are public, so that in the case this poll gets worldwide attention, Ducati can take notice as well.
    Owners of multiple bikes with a DVT engine can also vote more than one time, hence the unlimited possibility to choose an answer. (for example, owners of a Multistrada and a XDiavel are realistic scenario's)

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Hard,y used any between services. Never had to top up. 8k miles 1200s 2015

• Like Like x 1
  3. My 2015 1200 DVT is the same as Bradders, only once topped up between services and then only about 200ml.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dont forget to vote if you havent already

And would the 1260 owner share some information or give his input?
    I hope its not some joker messing up the goal of the poll by casting votes based on nothing.:thinkingface:

5. I have :upyeah:

If you click on the '2 votes' button it shows you who voted what

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. My 2015 DVT 1200 S Has done 22,478km and has never needed topping up between service intervals

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm out

8. Hi Riko
    I’ve got a 2016 DVT 9750 miles, owned from new.
    Other than a top up of 200ml roughly when touring Spain for 2 weeks (which was at a more spirited pace than my UK norm) i’ve not had to top up between servicing.
    Cheers, Doug

• Like Like x 1
  9. My experience with a 2016 DVT is a pretty constant oil consumption of 0.1-0.2 l/1000km over 72000 km and 11 oil changes. It seems independent of the oil brand (and viscosity).
    I think the variability is due to not very precise measurements as well as different usage patterns.

1305229632.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. Repeat post -
    I had a 2015 DVT and did 28k miles on it over 3 years, it did use oil in normal riding but not an excessive amount - however if I did a long motorway / auto route trip at mostly constant speeds it used a lot more oil! I was told this was due to the oil breather canister needing a vacuum to recycle any oil vapour back to engine and at constant revs the vacuum isn't there, vary the revs up and down and it gets a vacuum and recycles the oil vapours, or something like that! BS or what?

The current 1260 has now done 12k miles and used no oil at all!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have 1500 miles on my 2018 1260 and it has used no oil that I can tell.....

#11 C RFan1, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 2016 had from new, 14000 miles, 3,000 (4,800km) miles then needs about 3 to 400 millilitre . Only 2 top ups in nearly three years, depending when the service falls. I stick with the shell advance as recommended by Ducati.

Not a concern at all. Only noticeable after a 1 week 2,000 mile trip that I tend to do once a year. Every other trip consists of a couple of hundred miles on a weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cast my vote. Having been on this site a while now it does appear as said above that MOTORWAY MILE MUNCHING DOES USE MORE OIL THAN SHORT RUNS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. My 2011 single spark Mutley used almost no oil.
    My 2018 1260 is frugal with oil.
    My early 2015DVT always used more than a litre/1000 miles and on one epic trip in the Alps used half a litre in 210 miles.

Many talk about Mutleys using more oil at constant (highway) throttle. This may be so but in my case it was always when the engine was on the gas , then overrun, then gas as per very tight and twisty roads. Ducati and Snells were brilliant about this matter. After a carefully controlled test where I did 700 miles to verify the consumption was excessive, barrels and pistons were replaced. I could not have been more pleased with the service I received. When the heads were off the residue on top of the pistons was soft. Not baked hard. This is a clear indication that oil is getting by the rings. After the replacement consumption became frugal.

Quentin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I believe it's quite possible oil consumption is related to being too careful during break-in, particularly with these short stroke engines. I'm a firm believer in hard acceleration-deceleration procedures in the first 100 miles. I have no noticeable oil consumption

• Like Like x 1
  16. Riko, not sure if you can modify the poll now its started, but I think you need a 'no' option for the 1260.

• Like Like x 1
  17. My 15 Used about 300ml per 600 mile then slowly started using less. By the time it got to 2500 to 3000 miles it dropped to next to no useage - 200cc per 1500 miles. 7500 miles total.

My 17 used nothing..in the same 7500 miles..

• Like Like x 1
  18. well, I was thinkg as wel, what option to offer for the 1260 owners?
    Because I am limited in the number of possible options, so I only have one option left for the 1260.

My reason for choosing the extreme: yes more than 3L/3000km is, it would stand out if there were 1260's with excessive oil consumption.
    Offering a "no" only option would give too many votes I think, and offering the extreme yes would, normally, give little to no votes, thus any vote for a 1260 would immediately be "weird" since one might expect the 1260 engines do not suffer from excessive oil consumption :)

19. Multiple votes are allowed, so you know ;)
    so you can use a vote for the '15 & '17

Currently you have 2 DVT Multistrada's? :)

20. I would have thought knowing how many people vote 'no' is more valuable than not knowing. Otherwise you have no idea how many owners as a proportion have an issue. So far you have no votes for 1260, but is that because no one has read the forum / thread, or no one has serious issues...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information