1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Stiff Brake Lever

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Duke300, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Hello All,

Hope you can advise on the issue that I am having with the front brakes. I did a full service of my brake system including striping the callipers etc. and put it back on and changed the fluid, did the bleeding and went for a ride. After a few minutes the lever went really stiff causing the front brakes to seize. I thought that maybe I put too much brake fluid into a reservoir so did bleeding again and tested the brakes and same issue the brake lever is really stiff after using a few times. Do you think there is an issue with a master cylinder?

2. Are the calipers sticking on?

3. I do not think so, I checked all pistons beforehand and all was perfect so not sure what went wrong. I used a vacuum pump to flush the fluid so not sure if that did something to the master cylinder...

4. Can you put the bike on an axle stand, preferably a front one? If it were me I'd check whether the same thing happens when the bike isn't being ridden. Just pump the brake lever a few times (maybe a lot of times) and see if it still seizes up. If it's on a front axle stand, when it's seized you can check if the front wheel still spins or not, this will determine if the calipers are freeing off or not.

If it doesn't happen when static but only when being ridden then it would seem to point to heat causing something in the caliper to expand and stick.

5. Have you done anything to the lever itself, could you have made any adjustment to the plunger.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Insufficient free play at the lever between the plunger pin and the piston in the master cylinder would be my bet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I removed the lever for cleaning and greasing and have not done any adjustments so maybe something related to the plunger? maybe something is blocking the fluid returning to the reservoir?

razz how do I adjust a free play? I am a newbie so learning those things daily :)

8. Early non adjustable levers had a grub screw that activated the plunger. If it was screwed out it would reduce the gap between the lever and plunger which, once the fluid had warmed up a bit, would result in the brakes seizing/sticking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. You ask @Birdie or someone else who still owns a 748 or 916/996/998. I can’t remember the exact details any more. I sold my 748R in 2007.

10. any owner of 748 can advise how to adjust free play at the lever?

11. Does your lever have this type of grub screw? If so, they are usually glued in position with araldite/resin.
    If it’s loose, I suggest screwing it in a bit and going for a ride to see if the brakes stick again.

12. I do not think so. My bike is from 2002 so one of the last models

13. You could be warm with this post, there is a fluid return port/gallery in the master cylinder body between reservoir and cylinder bore. If this is even partially blocked the system starts to 'pump up' giving your exact symptoms. I can't remember bore size exactly but I think it's around 0.6 mm.

I totally agree R, this can cause the same result as above if stroke screw has moved because it's loose or has been adjusted incorrectly. Just like the rear system, the play could appear to be correct but might diminish to zero when brakes are hot and exacerbated if slave cylinders sticking slightly and/or used during hot weather.

#13 Chris, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  14. E5DE9B60-60E7-436F-ABD7-3981500E54BE.jpeg
    Do you have adjustable levers? Poor picture (and example) but it’ll have a round knob you can adjust to bring the lever closer or further.
    I know that’s the clutch side but the brske’s the same.

15. that is what I have got but tried all positions and did not help. is that what is used for free play adjustment?

16. It's not what's used for free play adjustment, I was just determining what levers you have. When the round knob is adjusted it pivots around the red circled pin either reducing or increasing the distance (green) between the lever and the grip. The yellow circled pin is where the lever which actuates the brake cylinder piston rod is connected. I'll take a look at mine later and post more pics to try and help.

Check if the symptoms occur when the bike is static that way you can determine, and eliminate one or the other, whether it's purely brake fluid pressure causing the seize or heat build up. If the former I'd investigate Chris's suggestion.

IMG_9708.jpg

17. Thanks for info that helps. Can you advise how to adjust a free play then based on above?

18. Having checked mine (99 748) there’s no free play adjuster between the master cylinder piston and the lever; the lever rests against the piston that’s all.

When you sucked the old brake fluid out with the vacuum pump did you end up draining the reservoir, and thus possibly the piston, completely, or did you keep it topped up with new fluid?

19. Here is mine, they are after market levers but just the same as my standard ones, the adjuster is the screw for the flat head screwdriver, I have about 5 to 10mm play at the end of the lever before I feel any sort of pressure other than the lever return spring.
    DSC_0003.JPG
    Steve

#19 Birdie, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  20. Paul, it seems that I have got the same as yours so no adjustments, can I adjust a free play on this type somehow?

I drained it to empty as was changing all hoses and clips and wanted to clean reservoirs as well. Any issue with that?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information