1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen Ducati 899 - Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Stef, Jun 16, 2017.

1. I had my 5 days (DAYS!!) old ducati 899 panigale stolen from work. It was parked on private property, with locked gates, with security and cctv.

I listed on the additional security for the insurance a chain, which I didn't have at the moment of the theft, being, as the police defined it, a secure park on private property.

The biketracker tracked them for 2 miles, till they took it off the bike and threw away.

My biggest fear is that now the insurance won't pay for the theft because the chain wasn't used, even though both the police and the tracking company said "it's been stolen. Full stop".

Any advice/experience on that?
    Please help me

Thank you so much

2. Thread moved

3. How do they know the chain wasn't on

4. My apologies

5. There is cctv, and I thought it might be worth being honest with the insurance just in case they check the footage.

6. My problem is: the location at work is safer than the overnight storage (which on the insurance shows up at roadside). The police said that the workplace is a secure car park (as I said with security, gates and cctv). So in theory it's safer than the roadside. That's why I didn't chain it. Does the additional security (listed in the insurance policy) need to be "active" all the time? It might sound like it just applies to the overnight storage

7. I'd explore wether the chain needs to be fitted only when at home, if you are away from home it may not be a stipulation. I couldn't carry my chain away from home. I remember when getting quotes for mine it made zero $$$ difference with a chain or not, didn't make any difference for a tracker either so I didn't declare either. The small print must be available somewhere.

8. So they found your tracker discarded?

9. Thanks Andy. I had a quick (and panicky) look at the documents of the insurance and they say they won't pay for "loss of use" of the security devices listed. Unfortunately I couldn't put the tracker in the list. Have you got any advice? Sorry if I keep asking for help but I'm panicking

10. Don't be sorry...have u told them about the lock

11. Well, I've listed a ground anchor and I can't very well take that to the shops with me. I do believe these are only for home.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I said I didn't have the chain on. Because just in case they check the cctv and they see they just had to break the steering lock I'm definitely going to be considered a liar

13. I said I didn't have the chain on. Because just in case they check the cctv and they see they just had to break the steering lock I'm definitely going to be considered a liar
    That's exactly my thought. Also at home I have 2 chains

14. And by the way thank you all so much in advance for your help

15. Sadly this is the second 899 stolen in London on this forum in 24 hours. Both had trackers that tracked them so far, both from secure car parks.

Shocking.

Be interested to know more about your tracker and wether they found it discarded. I'm a Biketrac member myself.

16. I'd be surprised if the cctv would have picked that up. When ever I've seen cctv on crime watch and stuff the picture has been pixelated garbage.
    I've never had to make a claim so I'm not experienced dealing with the sticky end of the insurance business. It would have to be pretty atrocious for them to hang you out to dry on that. Maybe give citizens advice a tinkle see if they can put your mind at rest.
    Chains and anchors i'm sure are for home use. Steering locks at home are definitely specified in insurance small print.
    There are some pretty wise old owl's on here that might have experience in this field.

17. The biketrac company said the same. They took it off within 15 minutes after taking the bike

18. It's not the most detailed shot but you can see that they just broke the steering lock, unfortunately. If someone has some advice/experience on this please let me know, I'm scared s**tless I might not get any money back

19. Hopefully someone might be able to put your mind at ease. Who are you insured with

20. MCE. Which doesn't fill me with confidence after reading reviews (stupid me)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information