1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Stranded, Only Have Mechanical Key Code

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pras, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Bike had immobiliser error a few times after yesterday's rain... Managed to get going again by dismantling it and drying.

I've only got the mechanical key code that starts with a Letter. NOT the electrical code.

Anything I can do with that or is it useless to me?

2. Put some washers under the ignition surround to raise it a couple of mm. Cured my water related 1198 non-starting

3. K will try. I'm on a euro trip at the moment and had to try a few different heights of the ring to get it started again including taking off the guard wiping it dry.

Have to do this every time the engine stops.

4. Do you have the plastic card at home Patrick in your manual booklet as that is where the code is that you need?

5. No never had it, only the metal tag on the 2nd key. I thought that was the code I needed...
    Had my missus go through the whole bike folder to see if it was written down anywhere but no joy.

Ringing Ducati dealers today to see if they can reset the code or do something else.

Other option is probably to get recovered to the next hotel in Luxembourg as it's dry the rest of the week.

6. Ducati do not record the code cards against the bike. You may have a water damaged antenna that needs replacing. Try taking the ignition shroud off and unclipping the antenna. Thoroughly dry everything. Try moving the antenna along the plastic part of the key to see if it will read the chip.

7. I was doing that already to get it eventually started.
    My only option is to see if they can reset the code.

8. Just tried this morning all fine as the bike was garaged overnight.

Daniele Moto can reset it to a new code.
    On Friday that is and leave the bike over the weekend. Rang 2 local Ducati dealers and they don't have the facility to reset it... Strange that.

Will try a plastic bag over it today to get me going . Rest of the week should be dry

#8 Pras, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  9. From experience. Some shops that sold the original bike record the immobiliser code on their system from the documentation they give you. As originally said ducati U.K. dont.
    Worth a try.

10. Maybe give Moto Rapido a call. Want me to call them for you Patrick? Would need your reg I imagine, although they probably would need proof of ownership as I could be any old Herbert.

I'll ask them if they keep the codes anyway and report back.

#10 Pavey, Jul 12, 2017
  11. Just called them. They don't log them unfortunately.

12. IIRC there's a company in wales that can either read it or blank it out. Don't recall their name right now.
    I also think CCS do it.
    Neither of which are gentle with their fees for the service.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Thank you for your efforts @Pavey much appreciated.

For anyone else in the same situation:

Plastic bag over the key guard is he solution!

Torrential rain again today and not a single time the immobiliser light came on !
    Also noticed it didn't matter how high or low the antenna was it worked every time.
    Stopped 4 times for petrol .

I'm alright for the rest of the trip.

[​IMG]

#13 Pras, Jul 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information