1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Behaviour On Start Attempt After Tps Change 749

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Wozza, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hello all,

Am looking for some advice on what to try next please

Have changed tps on my 05 749, the fault code cleared and tps reset.
    Turn ignition stage 2 fuel pumps prime, all tests ok on scanmx5 hit the starter she tries to start but doesnt fire stop pressing starter she continues to try and start until I hit the kill switch or ignition off.

Have the exige cables installed, starting not been a problem before, bike has been stood for a while, dropped the oil andnfilter change.

Any advice would be gratefully received thank you!!

2. The starter is on "servo start" where the ECU keeps turning her over for a set time until it starts. If it's still going after 10 seconds or so there may be an issue, but "that's normal".
    If the diag SW you have can display TPS openings, then check the ECU is seeing a full sweep from idle to WOT. You should see about 84 degrees at WOT.
    Other than that, I'd start by going over all the connections that were disturbed when the TPS was swapped out. Check the plugs are getting wet and there's a spark there etc.

3. Could the starter thingy be sticking? I seem to remember people having that issue on the 996/748's.

4. Thank you, back out to the garage :upyeah:

5. So now getting a dtc 120 tps circuit switch a fault, this is second tps : unamused: this one from exige so know it was goo
    On the sweep was reading 1.6 to 70

6. The error code doesn't look to be in the same format as the Ducati codes, but a 1.2 is a short to earth of the TPS. Might be worth a look at the wiring and/or connector. Make sure the pins haven't shifted in the connector?
    The input voltage is fixed by the ECU at or around 4.8v - 5v. The TPS is simply a variable resistor so a lowered input voltage will result in a lower output. If you have the gear to check input voltage, that'd be worth check to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. If the TPS is duff then go to a Fiat Dealer Parts Dept and buy a genuine Magneti Marelli TPS for a Fiat Punto 1.2 8v. They will be able to find it on the parts fiche. The last one I bought was under £35. Part
    number 71738921

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Cheers guys,
    Have stripped back again, all looks ok, ready for multimeter, can do a continuity check for the earth after that shes going in a van somewhere.

Much appreciated all

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morning all,

Checked the voltage in steady at 5.01V no short on the earth.
    Rechecked the connectors and the positive socket on the connector (inside airbox) to the tps moved back when checking with multimeter and is slightly loose !!! Cheers Nelly

Can anybody enlighten me to what the orange wire/input is for?

Thanks again

10. The three wires into the TPS are an input voltage, an output voltage and an earth. The orange wire is the output voltage to the ECU that tells it what the throttle position is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Chris,

Feel like I should have thought about that before asking!:pensive:

12. Thanks Chris,

Feel like I should have thought about that before asking!:pensive:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information