1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streetfighter V4s - (non) Starting Issues - No Response To Button

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by vectorzero, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Anybody had issues with their Streetfighter V4 not starting? If so can you see if this scenario sounds familiar and if your bike has any similarities with mine.

I've had two occasions where the V4S would fail to engage the starter motor.

Bike was warm, not in gear, ignition on, all pumps and servos (suspension etc.) had cycled. Kill switch in run, and side stand up.

Pressed start button. Nada. No sound of a relay closing. It was like the start button was disconnected. I (and the there geniuses with whom I ride) switched things off and on numerous times and farted about looking generally confused for ten minutes. Then on switching the ignition back on yet again it started completely normally. Two hours later we went through the same scenario again. (All this was caught on helmet cam, so I've not imagined it. What a boring set of videos those were.)

It's been to the dealer, and there are no fault codes, and they can't find anything wrong. As you can appreciate an intermittent ability to start reduces my confidence in riding the thing!

The only changes made to the bike on the electrical front is the addition of a USB adapter to power a Qi charger on the right handlebar. The adapter sits under the battery cover and the USB cable is routed with the existing cables and is not pinched.
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    The bike has Ducati heated grips which are a dealer fit item, so one of my thoughts was damage to the kill switch when the throttle actuator was swapped for the heated one. When I took a closer look I realised that the throttle actuator housing doesn't contain the kill switch, but that the wiring to the housing holding starter button, kill switch and heated grip control has some exposed wiring.

IMG_0257 (1).jpeg
    To help eliminate lines of investigation, does anyone else have a connector looking like this? If not then the switch housing needs a closer look.

Cheers

Neil

2. If it’s any help, I had similar problems with my Multistrada this year while in Switzerland, bike wouldn’t start, completely dead and unresponsive on the switch. Got it powered up on the pin code route but kept stopping. Had to get Ducati breakdown to recover it to nearest dealer (90 minutes away) in Bern, once there the guys plugged it in on the machine, no fault codes etc but still no sign of life. Not until someone noticed that the starter switch was illuminated all the time did we get anywhere, turns out the switch was faulty and after a quick swap with a new unit all was good again!
    Maybe be worth a check anyway?
    And here’s a photo of the wires/connector on the Multi

17437FF1-9A38-4183-B92D-F12C31F0962E.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 3
  3. That's great input. I'll take a closer look at the switch this weekend.

4. It may be worth checking the starter relay. They have a maddening trait of going intermittently, exactly as you've described, when they begin to break down.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information