1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Stripped Brass Insert In Airbox

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by duc996bp, Aug 5, 2018.

1. I recently had to remove the air-scoops on my 1098. When I came to re-installing I noticed one of the brass inserts on the airbox has stripped (not by me!). There are 3 inserts per scoop, next to airfilter.

Anyone had this problem before? Can I insert a helicoil into brass? Is it easy to remove the airbox?

• Like Like x 1
  2. not sure where you mean but if its the brass insert of a well nut you want to replace it with a rivnut or similar. well nuts are the invention of the devil

3. Thx Higgy. The airtube attaches to the airbox with 3 screws, they use brass inserts on the airbox, previous dealer has gone and stripped the thread. I should have taken a photo, but cant now.

This video shows how someone has repaired his, not sure I like it though.

4. It’s quite common, unfortunately. The insert can be bonded back in or a well but used in some cases I’ve seen

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I had exactly this problem earlier this year.
    I carefully removed the insert and put a new brass insert in.
    I will dig out my post and provide a link.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Thanks @nelly and @RickyX
    Is it possible to buy the insert? Assume the airbox is removed to do that job?
    Compared to my 996, this bike is so much more awkward to work on! lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ahh thanks @Chris

Is there a reason why they make the inserts out of brass in the fiirst place and not stainless steel?? Cost?

8. Bought the brass inserts from ebay, removed old stripped one, installed new. Great job, works perfect.
    Many thanks to all!!

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information