1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion Welcome.

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Stripey, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Hi everyone. Suggestions appreciate for best direction to take. Currently in Locarno in switzerland. Looking to find and interesting and nice roads. Need to be back in zebrugge on Friday evening. Grossglockner is 7 hours away and I don’t fancy 7 hrs on a motorway. Stelvio was 4hrs. Any general direction would be good, but will need to head north soon.
    Many thanks.

2. What I do is use motorways for say a few hours, then do at least an hour on the back roads, scenic areas. And then head back to a motorway & do the same a few times when touring. Keeps things fresh & you feel you are gaining distance either to a place or from a region.

Don't speed as they are on the ball with handing out fines & have the record of nearly £150,000 for a single speeding offence..

3. There is a super twisty little back road from Locarno to Domodossola (the SS337) which would do for a start. Then head over the Simplon Pass to Brig.

Head north-east from Brig up the Rhone valley (Route 19, the Furkastrasse) towards the Furka Pass. From Gletsch take the Furka east to Hospental. Turn left (north) towards Andermatt and Wassen (lots of traffic on this bit).

Left again at Wassen, taking route 11 over the Susten Pass. By the time you reach Innertkirchen you'll be exhausted, after three high Alpine passes, so check into the Hotel Hof und Post by the crossroads:

https://hotel-hof-post.ch/index.html

20180711_172242.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. PS If the weather is bad (as it may well be tomorrow), and the clouds are low on the mountains causing fog, the high passes may not be feasible (or even open). Check before you ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thank you that pete1950, that’s exactly the sort of ideas we were after. But I’ve just checked and I think that both Furkapass and Susten and still closed. Any other ideas? Rode for 6 hours today, rain non stop!

6. Then you may be forced to resort to the St Gotthard. You can go over the new pass road, if it's open, or even the old pass road if that's open - but you still have the fall back plan B of trundling through the tunnel if necessary (which I did last week, as it happens).

7. A few years ago Matt McCabe Brown and I rode together right across Switzerland from the Fluella/Mustair to Basel - and it poured with rain the whole way. That's the Alps for you.

8. Head to Andermatt, avoid motorways if poss. Turn right / North to Glarus (can't remember name of pass but good road) exit Switzerland East of Basel into Germany. Use Michelin route planner to find best roads (highlighted green) up thru Black Forest (try B500 if you've not done it before}. Tons of good German roads in Black forest Eiffel area around Cochem. Zeebrugge less than a day's ride from Cochem.

TB

Do Not Sell My Personal Information