1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sump Drain Plug Washer...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by AndrewS, Sep 19, 2021.

1. A cheapskate question! I'm going to do an oil change on my 1198S - got the oil, got the filter, need a washer for the drain plug. My nearest Ducati dealer is a good few miles away and would probably want an exorbitant sum of money to post me one... Is there another source?

Thanks in advance

ANdrew

2. Phone Craig at Moto Rapido and he will put one in the post for you tomorrow. Doubt they will be expensive :)

3. Minimum order of £10 I think?

4. That's a pain - didn't know that! Might be still worth a phone call as they are really helpful.

5. yes, you get the feeling Craig would send one F.O.C. depending on past business andrew, but don't quote me! P&H have done similar for me years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes, I've dealt with Craig in the past, he's always done his best to help. I'll give him a call.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buy several at once and you'll be sorted for a while. Think they were about 60p each when I got a few.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. From a cheapskate point of view...

- You could simply reuse the washer. I'm sure I've been guilty of that.

- You could reuse it, with a tiny smear of silicone (plumbing) sealant on each side. I've definitely done that before.

- If it's copper, you could anneal it by heating up red-hot with a gas flame. I've done that too.

- You could look at buying a whole load of them cheap from eBay. Copper ones appear to be available from as little as perhaps £1.50 for 10 or £10 for 100 or more. You need to know what size the sump plug is unless you buy a selection.

I've never had an oil leak of any concern from a sump plug, and more importantly, I haven't had one fall out (probably the most important consideration!) or stripped the threads.

#8 Recidivist, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Just get some wet & dry on a flat surface and flatten it til smooth again.
    In Yorkshire we get taught these things from a very young age. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. ^this

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Definitely!

12. Thanks for all the replies - I got the dimensions from Craig and there's plenty on the internet for as little as £2 for two (posted!). Think I can probably afford a couple.

• Like Like x 1

13. Even on a flat stone/paving slab. Takes 30 seconds......

14. Re-use the old one.

Clean it and heat it with a gas gun, it re-anneals it, or so I am told. I've been doing it for donkies...

Although be careful, I did one last week and got distracted just for a second by CN2 and the copper crush washer ended up as melted mess on my boot - Bugger.

So not to be deterred I used an aluminium one from stock, just a normal washer, and it works a treat.

As my old Father-in-law used to say, don't sweat the small stuff, in this case it's just a fuckin' washer!

15. I've re-used old ones without any problem, also used the cheapo ebay 'mixed box for a few quid' washers - but I did have a problem with one of these, it was leaking because it had broken whilst tightening the plug.

Re-use with a smear of threebond and it'll be fine.

16. Copper will “work harden” when you tighten the bolt, so sanding it down with wet and dry doesn’t do anything to restore its crushable quality that we look for in a crush washer. Annealing the metal is better option to avoid eventual leaking, but really what’s the point fucking around this much just to reuse a disposable washer

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Instead of the copper or aluminium OEM washer fit a bonded seal washer. Two of them cost £3 and will last forever.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Thanks, that looks like a good suggestion!

19. Bonded washers, or Dowty seals as they are also commonly referred to as, only "last forever" if they are not damaged when fitting/removing them ! :joy:
    A thin smear of oil should help with that :upyeah:

When people mention annealing copper washers I assume those that are heating the washer to a cherry red colour are also quenching said washer in water ?! :) Just checking :joy:

20. @Sev ? cooked that Pork yet boy?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information