1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Sump Plug

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by yellowducmaniac, May 4, 2017.

1. I was going to do an oil/filter change yesterday on my 999S,got the bike up on paddock stands,and removed lower fairings but when I tried to remove the sump plug with a 5mm hex key it is incredibly tight,got a foot long extension bar on it as well and it still wouldn't budge,and the hex key which is new and unworn isnt what I would call a snug fit in the socket,i felt that if I gave it the beans it might round it off completely,has anyone else had this happen?...I don't want to f@ck it up!..

2. It's not 5mm, you have the wrong bolt.

3. Ok,I'll explain where it is,under the motor there is a small housing, the bolt in question is to the left of this when looking down from above the bike,its the only one that's lower than the housing it has a copper washer under it and the only hex wrench that will fit is 5mm,i tried other sizes,M6 is too big and M4 is too small...I have changed the oil before and i'm pretty sure this was the bolt.

4. It's an M10.

Are you trying to get this one out by the screen filter? You don't need to.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

5. If its deep sump remove complete square(4x5mm allen) plate to drain the pull mesh tube filter downwards to check for debris. I never remove the drain bolt which is next to it. The sump plate has copper gasket which are a couple of quid and the mesh tube has 2 green rubber O rings. Not really necessary to replace and Ive annealed the copper gasket once with no leaks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Deep sump is a very good point..............:Bag:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes it is a deep sump engine,And I think I'll be doing what 900Streetfighter does from now on...;)

#7 yellowducmaniac, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  8. i'll shut up.:Bag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Always good to check an rinse mesh filter. Grip lightly with pliers pull down and wobble sideways slightly.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information