1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superduke R

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Wayne58, Apr 25, 2017.

1. An opportunity has come up for a very low price 2015 Ktm Superduke R with full akra and a few other nice trimmings as a mate of mine is posted overseas with work. Anyone got experience and anything bad I should look for, before adding to the garage. Cheers in advance

#1 Wayne58, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. I have a 2016 which I purchased in June last year. Previously owned 2 multi's and an 1199. I love the bike, outrageous torque, really nice handling and not missed a beat over 6.5k miles so far. I believe from memory the 2014/15 bikes were very slightly changed for 2016. There were apparently a small number of oil leaking crank cases on early models and mcn had one that kept pumping its coolant out. If you know the guy selling the bike I'm sure you would know if he's had issues.
    I rode down to potimao on mine last year and it was awesome. Recently added a puig screen which has made a big difference to travelling for long spells at speed. The bike is very comfortable and fits me like a glove.
    Go for it!

IMG_1743.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. As above. There were a few teething troubles on some of the first SDRs but the 2015 bikes are solid. If its got FSH and the Evo exhaust system was dealer-fitted with the correct map etc. there should be nothing to worry about.
    I've gone past 10,000 miles on my 2016 SDR with no problems at all - except a spongy clutch slave which was replaced under warranty.
    Front brake pads are all but gone in 10,000 miles and its on its sixth rear tyre and third front. Still looks absolutely mint. Finish quality would seem to be excellent though non-lacquered decals have a habit of peeling - things like the WP stickers on the forks and the "Ready To Race" slogan on the subframe. Main lacquered-over decals are fine.

A few early bikes had a slack rear hub and rubbing front discs. I do have an intermittent groan noise from the front when the bike is pushed at walking speed but the wheel spins freely on a stand, there is no hint if vibration or pulsing under braking, the pads have worn evenly and the stopping power will stand the bike on its nose so as far as I'm concerned its a non issue.

I thought the handling could be better so I had a pro set-up which corrected a couple of issues with the factory settings. The bike was low at the back with a vague front end and the damping speeds were not the same at each end which caused a slight wallow when pushed. Easily put right. The suspension units aren't top of the range, there is no preload on the front forks and heavier riders may find them under-sprung (I'm 13 stone and mine are fine). But the handling is excellent if correctly set up.

Massive grunt, furious acceleration and guaranteed fourth gear wheelies every time the tacho sweeps through 7.5K. Its also light, precise, extremely comfortable and that Akra system sounds glorious at full chat. If the price is right, buy yourself a modern classic.

#3 Gimlet, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Thanks mate, will give the crankcase a dam good dose of looking at this afternoon !! :grinning:

PS, yes to knowing him, been mates for years and hes straight as a die.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Many thanks for this, will bear in mind when looking over bike this afternoon, and taking for a blast, I'm also about 13 stone so should be ok. cheers again

6. Awesome bike, had a blast, mahoosive wheelies in 2nd and 3rd (bottled it a bit by time I nicked 4th), just a fantastic fun bike !! One more question, can any hard luggage be attached in case I decide to take it anywhere, or am I back on my multi ?? Thx

7. Wayne, KTM do some hard side cases for the SDR that fit to the rear subframe but you need to remove the rear subframe side panels. They are not waterproof from what I understand and aren't very big.
    If your travelling without a pillion and not camping I strap bags onto the pillion seat using rear footrests and KTM tail tidy. Works for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Aren't there are fold-out tie-down eyes under the pillion seat? Kriega tail packs can be attached easily. You can get stacks in them for solo trips and they'll be 100% waterproof.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. There's definitely fold out fabric loops under the seat, I'm fitting my Sd1290se with a Kreiga US30 at lunch today ready for my Germany trip tonight until Monday (Hull Rotterdam ferry booked for tonight)

Will let you know how I get on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm pretty tall at 6ft 3 and find the riding position really comfy. As already mentioned, I'm about to do a Germany Black Forest and Nurburgring trip which starts with the ferry tonight so that'll stick another 1500 miles on the clock :)

I've not had the Superduke long, I picked up one of the bargain special editions in December and just had first service done yesterday.

Ive had the full akrapovic system fitted and ecu map since day one so couldn't say what a standard bike feels like, but the akrapovic does make a massive difference so I'm told. I've also added a splatter of carbon....as you do

Regards hard bags / panniers, my mate who's coming with me tonight has some bags fitted to his Gsx1000r (naked) and he swears by them.

I'll try and get some pictures of the brackets and make but it'll obviously be a different bike.

I can't remember whether they are Sw motech or Hepco but both make some for the Sd

Safe saddlebags BLAZE for KTM 1290 Super Duke R, by SW-MOTECH.

Hepco & Becker C-Bow Saddlebag Holder KTM 1290 Super Duke R (2014-) 630.712.0001 buy cheap at moto24 - only £138.58

11. Nice one mate, will look into the bag options on your links, have a great trip. Cheers again :upyeah:

12. Thanks mate, just looking on their web site now, not bought bike yet but think I'm going to as was such a bloody giggle to ride. :D

13. Thanks mate, I never travel with pillion and will certainly not be bloody camping so long as hotels actually exist !! Why would I want to sleep on the floor using only 1 nylon sheet to separate me from the mud ?? Bloody pikeys !!! ;)

14. The Akro full system makes a huge difference. It restores full bottom end power which was stifled to pass emissions regs. And you get a much livelier throttle map. I still think the bike could take a more aggressive throttle action closer to 1:1. Some ham-fisted people would die of course but for them there is always the Enfield Bullet.
    The Akra is a vast improvement. Don't even think about putting the Euro dustbin back on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Multi going then?

16. No mate, just adding to the stable :)

17. When the Multi blows up you can always buy my SMT to keep the Super Duke company.
    Ask @JH_1986 He knows about these things. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. When the multi blows up, Ducati can bloody well fix it as its still under warranty :)

19. Thread moved

20. Just thought I'd post whilst I remember:

Picture attached showing Kriega US30 fitted.....no I'm not parked in disabled space :)

I'd already done a good 250 miles by this point, it was somewhere in Holland on route down to Leige before we went across the 258 to the Nordschleife.

Under the seat there's 4 fold out loops, the newer kriega stuff comes with hooks which works perfectly with the seat. I just added some anti scratch foam (just in case)

But overall it's been rock solid and didn't loosen up at all.

Bike now parked in the hotel garage...love this place

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information