1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport Gearing Change

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Mellie, Jul 15, 2019.

1. I have been chatting to other SS owners about changing the gearing to make low speed less of a lesson in clutch control. I appreciate there will be a top end speed impact but I'm not worried about that. (Bike performance will still exceed my ability after all!)
    So, has anyone done it? What was the end result?

2. Lots of US owners have changed to a 14t gearbox sprocket and are happy with the result. Better at low speeds and around town and increased acceleration. You'll never notice the difference at the top end unless you are in the habit of exceeding 140 mph or thereabouts.
    I might consider reducing the gearing since most of my riding is done on A, B and unclassified roads and the Supersport isn't really happy in 6th gear at sub 70 mph speeds. I'm not a fan of small even tooth number sprockets though so will probably wait until I'm replacing the chain and go up 2 teeth on the rear, if I can find a suitable rear sprocket.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks very much. It's always good to get the input of someone who has actually done it. And in any case, Ipromised my Dad I wouldn't ride to the bikes full potential lol

I'll discuss it with my local dealer.....

#3 Mellie, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
  4. I have kept mine standard for the 2 years and 26000 kms that I have owned it. Just about to change the chain and sprockets, but am fitting the standard sizes again as it is perfect for the sort of riding that I do.

5. Yes I have done it,
    I am in the UK & I did mine as soon as got the bike, I truly recommend the 14T transforms the bike, riding in traffic & around Town in 1st & 2nd is now a huge noticeable difference much more enjoyable, also I have Not noticed a drop in performance or speeds in any of the higher gears, in fact it accelerates much better/quicker & smoother through out all the gears + the quick shifter works much better... don't mess around get one fitted !

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Have to agree.
    Dropping the gearing makes low speed riding a much more pleasurable experience on just about any Ducati.
    Going down one tooth at the front has the same effect as going up 2 or 3 at the back but is simpler and cheaper to do as it doesn’t involve replacing the chain, if your chain hasn’t done that many miles.
    However, if your chain and sprockets are worn anyway, it’s a purer solution from an engineering point of view, to go up 2 or 3 teeth at the back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Old rider... As mentioned in my previous post I am perfectly happy with the set, however I do agree with you about the rear sprocket being the better option especially for wear & tear / longevity .
    But just as a matter of interest if you were to change the rear sprocket a replace the 15T up front what size rear would you go for 2 up or 3 ?

8. The standard ratio is 15/43. 15/46 will give exactly the same ratio as 14/43. The difficulty might be in finding a 46t rear sprocket in a 520 size though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Do you guys have a link to a supplier of the 14T?
    :upyeah:

10. Renthal do them but there should be lots of options.

11. Standard Ducati change: -1 off front sprocket

12. Thanks fellas. I did the change on my 1198 which saw a big improvement in town riding; didn't think the SS needed it but I can't help tinkering. :upyeah:

13. The SS probably needs it more.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I have a spare 14 tooth laying around somewhere for the 939SS. I tried it but it was not much good for touring as it raised the revs and the fuel consumption. Went back to the 15.

15. I too prefer the 15 for the SS. The 1200 Multi though benefited hugely from a 2 tooth increase on the rear.

16. If you go for the 14T you will stick with I'm sure, the majority do, but its not a big deal to change it back if like the very few you don't like it.. I don't do much touring my rides are usually around 100miles or shorter, fuel consumption is down to how you ride obviously,
    I don't hang around [​IMG] i never get less than 46MPG when really clouting it but more often its in the 50's

I got my sprocket from JT the rubber cushioned type it was about £15.00 if I remember correctly, but you may have to ring them & order over the phone as I did

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I did my first year on 15T. Put a 14T on at first annual service together with the updated fuelling map on DDS at that time and 6000km on the engine. The result was a very smooth riding bike with the Akra slip on. I have since had my second annual service at 11000+km and put the 15T back on as the engine is now fuelling so well. No regrets and will now stick with 15T. I suggest fully bedding the engine in first and make sure you are using the most recent DDS software updates before going with 14T. The 15T gives a more relaxed ride and uses the torque curve perfectly for mixed riding. Track Days and a lot of time in town, go 14T. Just my few cents worth.

18. My 14T has arrived. :cool:
    To you guys whom have made this change, did you follow the TSU procedure?
    I have also fitted a 6" rear rim with a 190 tyre so guess I should do it anyway.
    The manual says you have to be riding between 30 & 50 kmph & be in 5rd gear; how long does this need to be maintained?

:thinkingface:

Attached Files:

• TSU.pdf
      File size:
      317 KB
      Views:
  19. With a different tyre size you should definitely do a TSU. The manual is wrong apparently. To do the calibration you need to run in 2nd gear and hold as near as possible to 50kph, 30-32mph. I'm told it should take around 20 seconds and will say "ENDED" on the dash when it completes or "FAILED" if it is unsuccessful.

• Useful Useful x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information