1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport S And Vfr800

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Luca_Brasi, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Greetings everyone -
    Anyone with any personal experience with an 8th gen VFR800 and a Supersport (or S)?

I've got a 2104 VFR800 right now, really like the bike, but it needs a weight loss program, and I miss the nimbleness (is that a word?) of my Monster when I'm on the VFR. I'm going to go see/ride a Supersport this week, but was curious if anyone had any personal experience with both, and what your opinions were. More specifically is the riding position more or less sporting than the VFR? My old bones aren't going to cooperate with more of a crouch than the VFR has.

*Realizing this is a Ducati site I expect some favoritism, but I'm still interested in your views.
    Thanks!

2. The Honda will probably do most things better, but you’ll never love it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nor will you ever look at it at think "That's lovely"

4. As with most bikes, I don't believe other folk can really advise, especially on this particular forum. It very much depends what you want it for, but I think as an everyday, cover loads of miles, never miss a beat bike, the VFR, if a bit more of a weekend toy, and with more soul than a VFR, then the SuperSport. However, I still think its prudent to just go ride both and see which you like more.

#4 Wayne58, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
  5. Luca, I would say ignore both the vfr and supersport and get you one of these, Aprilia Tuono Factory

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Or one of these............But then I'm bias

SDR-Main-633x388.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yes you are you tart :joy:

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. Thanks for all the input, got a chance to ride a Supersport yesterday. Didn't have an "s" to demo. Here's my thoughts if you're interested. I was trying to combine some of the best features of the Monster and the VFR by considering the Supersport, and it doesn't nail it, but does surprisingly well.

The supersport pegs are about the placement as the VFR, bars are about the same height and angle, but they're about an inch closer to the rider on the Supersport. At 5'11" 200 I'm able to sit upright on the Supersport and reach the bars, I can't on the VFR, which leads to a bit more "lean" and weight on your wrists. Blame it on the short armed Italians (I'm Italian BTW), but the Ducati's seem to have a shorter cockpit, seat to bars in general. Seat height is about the same, more room for a passenger on the VFR if that matters.

The Supersport like the Monster is easy to set up in the corners, and inspires tremendous confidence setting and holding a line in the corners. The VFR is top heavy and fights a bit entering a corner. Probably attributable to the 75-100 pound weight difference between the VFR and the SS. Or it could be the better tires on the Monster and SS (Dunlaps on the VFR)

The VFR is smooth, no vibration, everything it does is smooth. The Supersport is rough around the edges by comparison. The SS was a bit flat right off idle. My Monster had more torque right off idle than the SS did, as does the VFR. The Supersport is faster. No top speed testing was done but I suspect the SS is a quicker bike just based on the slight edge in HP and less weight. The Supersport vibrates, the mirrors are worthless underway. They vibrate so much you can't see a damn thing. Call it character, the Supersport has more "personality". Similar to the Monster, and one of the things I like about the Monster.

Frontal area on the VFR is larger, the windscreen and the fairing, so wind protection is better on the VFR, anything is better than nothing so the SS gets the nod over the Monster. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take it out to the interstate yesterday because I was on a bit of a tight schedule, so that'll be saved for another day.

While similar looking, the VFR looks pretty sporting until you park the Supersport next to it. The SS physically is a smaller bike.

OEM exhaust on the Supersport had a nice sound, a bit of a growl without being too loud. The VFR sounds like a sewing machine by comparison. My Monster has a Termignoni without the DB killer, soo ....

To paraphrase Mark9 - the VFR will probably do most things better, but the Supersport has more character. If I decide to reduce my two bikes to one bike the SS would be a good choice, while still a compromise in many areas, it combines many of the characteristics of the Monster and the VFR. Ducati is offering a low interest rate and cash back on the SS now thru the end of Sept, so I'll need to give it some thought.

I'd go to a Monster 1200 but I'd like some wind protection on the highway, that rules out the SuperDuke as well. I'll have to look for an Aprilla dealer near me.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information