1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Suspension Adjustment

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Heedful, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Morning all

On a base V4, can I adjust the softness of the ride myself?

On page 257 of the manual, I'm pretty much understanding it, where my hope is "just turning the harder softer screw on the canister" will make it easier to live with on these country roads of ours.

I'm unsure though as to whether all the adjustments need to happen in conjunction with each other (1-3), or whether I can just do the straight forward one.

I'm not a mechanic and haven't worked on a bike like this before, so wanted to check.

2. Base suspension is fully self adjustable for compression and rebound but make a note of the OE settings then make a small change and try before adjusting again. Might be a good idea to set static and dynamic sag for your weight first. Andy

#2 Android853sp, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. So I don't need to fiddle with the rings, I can just do the canister?

4. pay someone to sort it..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not sure I quite understand your question. Are the “rings” you refer to the 2 castellated nuts part of the rear shock absorber on top of the rear spring ? If so, that is how you adjust the rear preload. Pages 255 to 258 in the owner’s handbook explains what you can adjust and how to adjust it. http://www.ducati.com/cms-web/upl/d...00.pdf?forceContentDispositionAttachment=true Andy

6. HI Andy.
    I think I have it sussed now - reading it a couple more times and not being up since 4am. :bucktooth: I only need to adjust compression (to soak up bumps) and not rebound, so to make it softer, a turn of a screwdriver on the canister in the direction of 'softer' will suffice (within range). I am not changing preload or rebound, so the other rings (1) and (3) can be left alone

• Like Like x 1
  7. Suspension is a balance - and as has been said above - start with setting the bike static and rider sag (adjusting spring preload on bike)

Once that is done try adjusting rebound and compression damping.

If you do not know what you are doing - pay someone else to do it for you (with you) it should be less than £100 - unless you need different springs and money well spent..

There are plenty of suspension people around.. just have a search

Below is a generic Ohlins Manual that may help..

https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/world/documents/2015/11/OM_07241-02.pdf

8. Panegale's have a really strong spring and the pre load Needs to be backed off just to get the suspension moving, it might be the same for the V4. Adjusting compression can make it feel softer butbadly set rebound can make it feel like there is no suspension. It all needs to be in balance. If you do change anything, personally I'd go big, then you can defo feel the change and not imagine it, you can always go back. A pro can get it all in the ball park for you in half an hour.

TB

9. Thanks gents.
    As I haven't done it before, I'll look in to getting a pro setup.

10. hi my V4 was set up by MCT suspension of stowmarket, the improvement was massive, totally transforms the bike. he changed the rear spring and shortened the shock slightly, all the fork oil was changed to much better quality oil and correct levels, and obviously sets the suspension up for you. then you test ride it and fine tune the set up to how you want it.

11. Hi I was looking at a base model multi V4 and ducati say that the front suspension is fully adjustable. But I could not see where the compression damping adjustment screw was located. Normally at the bottom of the fork. Has the front got preload adjustment , rebound adjustment and compression adjustment on the base model. Thanks

12. Haven’t checked but the norm today is compression on one fork and rebound on the other. Pre load on both. Andy

13. If you live in london, I've done my set up with Brian from BN - ex ridder , i think was 140£ made a worldie of a difference for me, pm for contact number if you want

Do Not Sell My Personal Information