1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Suspension Settings

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by bobhenry999, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Guys,
    I have recently bought a 1997 748BP, standard, apart from it is fitted with an Ohlins rear shock.
    I am finding that it doesn`t feel as manageable as my previous 851 and I am not sure why.
    I have lowered the rear as far as I can to ease the load on my old wrists and shoulders, but it doesn`t seem to make me feel as confident on it as the 851.
    Now, I am approaching 60, so I m no Carl Fogarty, but I would like to feel more confident when cornering etc.
    What do you guys suggest ?
    Should I reset the suspension to the factory settings, and if so what are they ?
    I`m 5`8" and 12 stone (On a good day)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Bob

2. Put it back to standard settings and buy a pair of Chinese bar risers which raise the end of the bars. I used the original bars in the new clamps and found it far more comfortable as I approached old age:D

With the standard settings and good tyres, I'm sure you'll find it as good as the 851

Perhaps check the steering head bearings haven't become notched too?

#3 Rman, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Good tyres and right pressures. £40 suspension setup and you should be able to feel a big difference.

4. I found my 748 was terrible on stock settings and my 996 wasnt much better. I found the Performance Bike magazine`s recommended settings worked best for me. I also swapped the stock steering dampner for an ohlins one. Im running an ohlins rear shock on my 996 also. I still feel the bike could use a quicker turn in, so i might adjust the headstock angle next, but overall, the PB settings drastically improved things.

5. Try raising the rear ride height. That steepens the steering angle without reducing the wheelbase and the overall stability. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just reducing the rear ride height will do nothing for your wrists, it will however adversely affect the handling making the steering very slow. A professional set up and handle bar risers as has already been suggested is the way to go IMO. Andy

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information