1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki GT250 X7

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Major, May 25, 2012.

1. I had it suggested to me today that a Suzuki GT250 X7 would be a great fun 2 stroke addition to the collection. Anyone on this forum had any experience/knowledge of the X7, are there any pitfalls to look out for and any ideas where I could start to find one?

2. I know none of the answers to this question. But I can say that my Australian KR250 was hilarious and a friend of mine had an RGV250 when I had my 851. I had to get a move on to stay ahead. Got to love 250 strokers. But why go so far back in time to an X7? Will it be any funnier?

3. To someone of a certain age it might be:upyeah: but an RD250 is way cooler. Honest :wink:

4. Had one and loved it but for all the wrong reasons...noise noise nose!! Lol

5. Personally i love old 2 strokes but it all depends how big you are now :wink: I know a few people who have bought old 2 strokes that they used to ride back in the early 80's, thing is they're tiny bikes and with all due respect we aren't any more !!! An X7 was microscopic so if you're over 11 stone don't bother... :biggrin:

6. The X7 was a nice little bike, quite durable as well for a suzuki but as already mentioned the RD250 was cooler for reasons I'm not entirely sure of?? The RD400 was a very good bike.

If you want proper 2-stroke performance look at the RD350LC, personally I hated the handling but they go like hell, and if that's not enough go find a Kawasaki H2.

The Hot Rod Homepage » Blog Archive » Kawasaki H2 “KH750″ Hybrid

Absolute nutters bike, will have you whimpering and shaking for all the right and wrong reasons.

7. 'RD'-Race Developed. Honest. Those things mattered when you were 17. Although I must admit an X7 did have a couple of mph on the top end over my RD.

8. I was too young to have one, only just, but a mate had a full on Barry Sheene rep X7.

Seemed very quick at the time, but, always remember people saying the handling was "skittish" and scary on fast corners.

For me, it would be the RD350 YPVS.

Seem to remember a guy in the local crowd had an Import version of the RD350 ...... Could have been a RZ350 in a deep burgundy red with gold pin stripes.

9. I never owned one but a mate did. He let me ride it once and as an over excited 17/18yr old I loved it. Very fast compared to other 250's at the time, sounded great and I remember not wanting to give it back!

I think they were the first 250 to break the ton and the reason for the 125 law.

10. Er, jury out me thinks.

Thanks Chaps.

11. I think the crankshaft was a weak point on them ?
    I'd go for a RD250 if it was me. :smile:

12. I revisited the RD's of my yoof or they would have been if I hadnt been so impovrished when the last year of the 250 learner laws was still in force :/ . Bought an RD350LC fairly tidy in running order with Kenny Roberts rep paintwork so looked smart. It was a hoot but a bit limited and after you 've had a few air cooled ducati Twins the novelty soon wears off and as has already been said I a shed load bigger than I was when I was 17 so felt a bit of a monkey on a tricycle, the sussies even though in fine fettle needed full preload to stop it all disappearing as sag. I'd spend the money on a early Carb'd 900 Monster before they castrated them with smaller valves and lesser cams but I've gotten the 2-smoker want out of my system now so its easy for me to advise.

13. Had a blue X7 YEARS back! Twangy horrible underframed thing in the corners, but hey -

It taught me how to wheelie. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information