1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Rgv250

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Robarano, Mar 15, 2017.

1. VJ23 RGV250SP - no contest. Japanese-only import, open clutch, ram air, 70 degree v-Twin. Rare and exotic like a 2T 916. The ultimate RGV. Here's mine - she'll be up for sale later this year.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 8
  2. Thanks @Dave, great looking bike. I did read somewhere the banana swing arm model (VJ23) was the way to go. :upyeah:

3. what ever you do dont swap it for a play station like i did with mine when i was young and stupid aged about 14 i think. :Banghead:

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have a VJ22 track bike, 2 in fact!. Nice bike but compared to my LC it's a lot more fragile especially when ridden hard. I went through three gearboxes before buying a Moore racing gearbox setup.

Obviously a quick road bike but I reckon for the road it's going to be potentially fragile as well if ridden hard.

As mentioned the VJ23 is the model to go for but it is a lot rarer. The VJ22 is a better and probably cheaper bet. Parts are also very expensive especially when I once again compare it to my LC.

Suzuki have started supplying more parts now as a part of an vintage parts campaign, but at the moment it refers to the VJ21, but many parts are interchangeable.

https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/vintage-parts-programme

For the road and a quick 250 two stroke how about a TZR250 especially the SP model?

• Like Like x 1
  5. We had a VJ23 RGV 250 SP in a long while back when we imported from Japan.

In the same batch was a Honda NSR250SP MC28 (Smart Card).

Both lovely machines!.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Black rgv250m (vj22) 1991 model,one yr only banana arm 3 vent rear the one to get! I have to say that cause I've got one image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I like 'em all - trouble is, only room for one in my shed :cry:

8. I got mine free!thats when the bill started coming! image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. A well known tuning company and I have purchased a number of items from them in the past. Using the RGV as a track bike is quite costly and at times it borders on costing as much as a Ducati to run on track but with less power. It's good for short circuits but not so great when it comes to circuits that demand more power.

This company also supplied a number of parts for my bikes, a lot of the Tyga stuff is very nice but again quite costly.

Suzuki RGV 250 - Jap 4 Performance motorbike conversions

I think I have reached a stage now where I am happier to run my 748R on track than putting up with the Suzuki and wondering what will go bang next. As above, so far three gearboxes, a crank and a few pistons. Speaking to some of the experts this is not uncommon for any RGV that's ridden hard.

My 250LC although a lot more underpowered is a lot cheaper and easier to look after and still good for that nice two stroke feeling when you want a bit of powerband performance.

Purely my take, but RGV's can get expensive very quickly when they start playing up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fairly common for the exhaust powervalves to fail and drop into the cylinders, worth checking them on any bike you buy.

Kawasaki KR1-S is also another bike worth looking into.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Poor or no maintance will give problems, cougar valves or middle power valve blade with solid pin sorts the valve issues, a well built strong motor if service intervals are kept to,just don't expect 20thousand miles on original pistons, definitely an enthusiasts bike,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Agree about looking at the Kr1-s, i sold mine 3 years ago and owned it for 7 years'
    A small bike but very wolf in sheeps clothing and had many good ride's.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. My mate has a vj23 that I've rebuilt for him and we have done various bits to. It wasn't a great one from new and it's been hard work. It's really expensive to deer strict and even though it's miles better to ride than a VJ22, the lack of spares etc is getting tiresome.

14. I've found it's actually a very reliable road bike (for a high performance two stroke) if left totally standard, used with top quality oil, and the power valves are kept clean and correctly adjusted. A friend's L had over 45k miles on his and never so much as lifted the cylinders the last I heard of it 20 years ago and that was absolutely caned everywhere.
    When they are tuned however, it's a different story. I raced a k initially, then an ex Suzuki UK works team (Whitham and Vincent) M in Supersport 400, both with the full Suzuki race kits of their day and they needed careful building, careful jetting and careful heaps of money throwing at them. I had a box with just short of 50 "used" Pistons in, some "lifed" (3 hours) but most showing severe signs of distress.
    Mind you, the M had 72bhp at the rear wheel (Harry Barlow porting, if anyone remembers him) and pulled the cbr600's of the day on the straights, so I could forgive it being a little finicky!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Beautiful motorcycle too

Do Not Sell My Personal Information