1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Swapping Fuel Pumps Between Tanks ?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Fastmonkey, Jul 13, 2020.

1. I've got a spare tank for track use and want to swap my fuel pump over. Is it as simple as unbolt and rebolt in new tank, or do you need to replace seals, gaskets etc. Any pitfalls to avoid ?

2. Get a spare Viton pump flange O ring or two before you start as they swell and get soft as they age. When reinstalling use a lubricant on the tank shell to assist the o ring into position without it getting pinched or distorted, be patient and try to get it out and reinstall it evenly and progressively

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. The 9**/748 family fuel pump is frustrating. There are 3 ‘spare’ threaded holes in the pump flange that you use the 3 securing bolts to jack the pump out. It won’t come out totally because there are 2 fuel pipes connected in the tank. Undo the jubilee clips at the pump end and wiggle the pipes off. Refitting the pump is a pain. Reconnect the pipes and jubilee clips and then feed the pump housing into the tank watching out for the green viton ‘o’ ring that is easily nicked and of course, the original securing bolts are not long enough to use to draw the pump body into the tank square. I use 3 spare longer bolts and red rubber grease on the ‘o’ ring and just take your time. The external fuel pipe quick release clips are fiddly and it pays to replace the 2 small ‘o’ rings in both. I think it is 2, it might be 1 but I have a Ducati where it is 2 and I can’t remember which one. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Yes ..... and what a blessing they are

Definitely an opportunity missed there on the design side ..... just a few more millimeters ( or screw thread turns )
    and all would be groovy .

I've been inside the tank more often than I would have liked , and getting the flange back in square ,
    without distorting the O-ring could have been so much easier .

5. Last time I bought a fuel pump o-ring I got a 6 pack. I have never been able to save one but try every time.

6. Thanks for all the replies, I've spent a small fortune on o rings and a new airbox gasket and will give it all a go !

7. This lot cost around £14.
    O rings 008.jpg
    With a tube of recommended o ring lube.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. Burger me !

That's a proper bargain .... have you got a link you can post ?
    or are you going to leave us all in suspense ( and misery ) ?

:)

9. It's all on the label, they're from Polymax.
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Hi Birdie, sounds good. I suppose that these are PTFE/PP suitable for automotive applications, but I'm struggling to read the codes. Would you do a close up of the label, or type the stock codes please. Cheers

11. Yes they are Viton, I've been using them for 8 years.
    The large o ring, BS247V75
    The quick releice, BS011V75
    Hope that helps.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. That's great, thanks for taking the time.

13. Managed to get this done yesterday on the second gasket after cutting/nicking the first ! dont think I'd have got it done without the longer bolt trick so thanks very much for everyones help.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information