1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Swarf From Oil Change

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by TonyC, Jun 28, 2018.

1. I carried out an oil change on my 1299 last night...and found these in the oil filter chamber....large pieces of swarf and 2 unidentified pieces that look like either teeth broken from something (?) or lugs (?). All pieces are non magnetic.

8021FA51-F93A-471A-81D8-1D1B1DB5C0FD.jpeg

Was riding last weekend and thought I heard a sudden whiring strange noise, engine management lights came up..which turned out to be a failed Lambda probe.
    Any how’s now got a strange vibration around 4500 rpm and performance down.

Thoughts? What would you do?

2. Not under warranty I'm guessing?

3. Unfortunately not.

4. The 2 small rectangular pieces, I’ve had exactly the same in the oil with my previous 1199. But that engine had had a hard life on track. I was told by people who know, what they are off (can’t recall now) and that it wasn’t anything to worry about.

The large piece looks like sealant (is it all flexible?) perhaps used to seal the cases together? I’m guessing here.

If it was me I’d call John Burrows at JHP and ask if you can mail him the picture for their opinion, just to be sure. At the the end of the day, if it’s more serious & needs sorting out, they’d be my go-to dealer.

5. Thanks Daniel.
    Would be useful if you could recall where the rectangular prices come from?

No, the large piece is metal, it’s been shaved from somewhere. It’s brittle.

6. Having any missed shifts?

7. No Mary, all good with gear shifts since QS was replaced a few months ago.

8. The little bits are off the water pump driven gear.
    By coincidence JHP just did me an oil change (this morning) and found parts matching the description of those little rectangular pieces.
    I'm getting it sorted so I'll let you know what was done. Once I get over the bill :(
    Dan

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wasnt there a thread on this issue already?? Im sure i read it somewhere

10. Dan, from the water pump drive gear!!
    Bloody hell, that’s sounds expensive and a faff.
    Please keep me updated when you know what’s what and can confirm this to be the case or not?

Cheers

11. I thought the water pump gear was plastic?

12. This was my first DIY oil change...normally done at dealership.
    Now I’m wondering how many teeth they’ve found in the past.
    The question is then...how many teeth left on the gear drive ?

13. God,this forum is hell of a mess. What ducati 1199/1299 hasnt had these plastic tabs inside the engine?! Its old news they are from engine assembly.
    The larger metals parts i should contact a pro about. Hope its nothing serious but doesnt look good. Good luck!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Thanks for tidying that up :)

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  15. What he said :)

16. Who is Nick the secret Nukker :thinkingface: try and bring harmony :worried::rolleyes:

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Watching @Robarano …………. guns loaded :eyes:

18. :worried:

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 2
  19. Am no expert but water pump gear sounds feasible - also if its down on power there may be something else adfrift. The large rubber bit looks like part of as seal . I'd definitely get it checked out before starting it again - hope its not too expensive !!

20. Kaboooooom :bomb:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information