1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Swing Arm Bolt Removal Help!!!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Liam durrand, Dec 12, 2019.

1. As in the title does anyone have any tips to removing the swing arm bolt have been battling it for what feels like hours with a hammer and penetrating oil and it won’t budge. Bolt spins freely but won’t come out

2. There is at least one comprehensive explanation of the daunting problem ahead of you which you should be able to find using the forum search function. Copious amounts of releasing fluid, heat and/or a FOBH and a drift. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. @chizel , put it away and come and help the man :eek:

4. It will spin freely as the bolt is stuck in the bronze sleaves which go through the bearings.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Commiserations Liam, you've possibly picked a difficult one, as Andy said, there are plenty of threads on here. Only thing I would add is that when you finally get some movement, don't try and drive it out in one go. Although laborious, driving shaft backwards and forwards sometimes speeds the job up - squirting all the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Bit rude before the watershed :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. bronze......

8. im not much help as ive never successfully removed a seized one yet without resorting to an angle grinder!!!
    what i do know is, use loads of penetrating fluid and be very careful with the drift you use, as in, make sure it is the correct size/shape so as not to flare or bur the end of the shaft or you are Donald ducked...
    there is on this forum somewhere, a diagram of the dimensions of the ducati drift for this job..
    unfortunately in all the years ive been on here ive not worked out how to use our absolutely shit search function so i cant link it for you im afraid,
    perhaps someone else can?
    GOOD LUCK!!!!

9. https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/swing-arm-engine-bolt.20116/

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Wasn't quite sure of the material, it was the explanation of movement I was trying to get over.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. :kissing_heart:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Interesting reading old threads......

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Liam you need this

FC80BAE3-E0B4-42AB-AD7A-27A64A36424E.jpeg
    or another product called Plusgas. Spray them into the gaps between the swingarm, frame, & engine casing. Do it twice daily for at least a week. After that Remove the bolt on the left (iirc) and buy a much longer bolt with the same thread. Screw it in as far as possible but leaving a few cm protruding. You can now tap this with a hammer, gently at first. As soon as it starts to move then go to the right hand side and tap it back towards the left. Then tap it back & forth, left to right a few more times, going just a little further each time. With patience it will get to the stage where you can then apply the drift and tap it all the way through.
    At least that’s what I did:)
    Patience is the key isn’t it @chizel :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. a bit of lateral thinking - not sure if i'll ever do it (i'm certain someone already has) :- work out the dimensions necessary to maintain the correct diameters areas for the two bearings on the swingarm pivot shaft and then reduce the shaft diameter between the two by 30 thou (say). Ideally would need replating though as would corrode even more if left after machining.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Like any difficult job you just need the right tool. So that you don't damage anything, get the drift tool or have a fabricator make one on their lathe. I had one made up for $110 locally here in Aust (about GBP60). It will work and you will have the bolt out in 10 minutes. When you get the bolt out you will want to "polish" it and the little sleeves with 400-600 grit W&D paper and WD40 to clean off all of the solidified grease. You will also have an appreciation of why this is a 2 year/20000 or similar service job. Grease the shit out of it when it goes back in. Good luck. A test of perseverance and resilience

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information