1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Swingarm Pivot Removal

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Apr 2, 2019.

1. I just wanted to ask the forum a couple of things please before I start to apply serious force to my 748’s swingarm pivot, and I can’t find this info in my manuals.

Mine’s been in situ for 20 years now :(. However, various penetrants have been abundantly applied over the past few weeks but I reckon it’s going to be seized still. Having said that though the swingarm pivots through its full range absolutely fine (the tie rod and rear suspension are off at the mo as is the rear wheel).

I’ve removed the securing capped bolt from the right hand side.

Firstly, there’s what looks like a 12mm hex nut on the left hand end of the bolt, recessed too deep in the frame for me to measure it with the calipers and bigger than a 10mm Allen key/socket so I’m guessing it’s 12mm. Should this be undone? Does it undo? I thought it was just the right hand nut that secured the pivot in place.

Secondly, depending on the responses to the above questions, when I come to apply force can I get a long coach bolt of the same thread as the right hand side securing bolt, thread that in and then whack the hell out of that? Other responses I’ve read on here about using an 11 or 12mm socket and extension bars or a simple drift would seem to run the risk of damaging and or mushrooming the threaded end of the pivot. I’m thinking that if something were threaded into it this would be the least damaging way.
    TIA

2. The hex in the end is 14mm from memory, it is in the end of the bolt itself, it will turn freely because it goes through the tophat bushes which turn in the swing arm bearings, the bolt normally seizes in the top hat bushes.
    For removal I started off with the bolt still in but undone a few mm and started hitting that until i got movement, undid it a bit further and knocked it back and forth to loosen it up enough to use a drift to finish it off.
    Steve

3. This might help.
    [​IMG]

4. Thanks Steve, so, there's no reason for the hex to be in the left hand side of the pivot bolt then? It doesn't have to be turned or anything? Also, it's safe to whack the hell out of either part 35 above, once loosened off and reinserted a few turns, or to insert a longer bolt and do the same? :upyeah: Game on, tomorrow.

5. The hex is there to hold that end when you need to tighten or undo the bolt, it's just a hex instead of a normal head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I wouldn't thrash the end with the bolt in by just a few threads, that could damage them, I would screw it right home and then out by about 5mm to start and see if there is any movement.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks Steve.

8. One further ? The nut that retains the rear sprocket carrier is described in the parts diag as a LH Nut, therefore I assume it undoes clockwise? ie back to front.
    TIA

9. It's that long since I have had that nut off i cant remember,I thought it was just a normal thread though, if there's any thread showing you will be able to see which way it should go.

#9 Birdie, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. No, it’s a normal nut. Anti clockwise to loosen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I had to cut mine out. It was seized solid.
    No amount of wd40, fire and whacking would budge it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. There was a great thread on the old Ducatisti forum (I think) where some one used a brick wall pillar and a jack to attempt removal........and it pushed the brick pillar right over. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. It can be a little trying to remove the pivot.As above,tap one way then the other,worked for me.......eventually.Accept the challenge!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Not good :(

15. I saw that one. It was linked to in another similar thread. :)

16. Tomorrow's job:upyeah:

17. 4A014D8D-AB4F-4F90-B463-1D56876D10CC.jpeg BCAFF76C-EB24-48FF-B526-057B551E95F1.jpeg I just love it when a plan comes together :upyeah:
    Swingarm pivot removed in 5 mins! After 20 years - wahayyyy:)
    A few taps with a regular hammer and out it came. I can only put it down to the advice from members on this forum; thank you all, and judicious use of Transyl which I picked up in my local auto-factors and can’t praise highly enough.
    Now to clean it up, grease it, and put it back.

• Like Like x 3
  18. You lucky bu**er, what a relief when it all goes right. Get plenty of grease on it when it goes back in and periodical remove it and re-grease .
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. I have to admit when I started banging the drift with a hammer I was expecting the worst, but was then shocked, surprised and then pleased when I realised it was moving out, especially after all the horror stories on here. Anyway, it's cleaned up, well greased and back in place now. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Glad you managed to get it out Paul! Strangely, when I took my bike apart, the pivot pulled out like it had been taken out daily! No issues at all!
    When it goes back in, I’ll be smothering it in copper slip

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information