1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching From Ninja 400 -> Panigale 959

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Luke Smith, Apr 26, 2021.

1. How's it going guys,

So I've been riding for just over 2 years on a A2 license here in the UK on a Kawasaki Ninja 400. I've just got my full license and am wanting a 959 but have a few questions first before diving into buying one, I would appreciate any feedback/advice!

Is it too big of a jump to go from a Ninja 400 to a 959?
    I'm a short rider (5'7), would i be comfortable on a bike like this?
    Curious what the general comfort is like on long rides, could you go touring on it and not break your back?
    What's a rough figure for annual servicing/maintenance like on this sort of bike?
    How many miles can the engine survive for without needing major work done (if the bike is well looked after)?
    Any general advice or specific need-to-knows before owning a Ducati like this?

Many thanks and nice to meet you all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'll try and answer some of your questions but other more knowledgeable folk will be along at some point!

In terms of it being too big a jump only you can say for sure but it will be a pretty big leap. If your careful and take your time it'll prob be fine but temptation can be a hard thing to overcome!
    You should be fine comfort wise as long as you can get your foot on the ground easily.
    Again general comfort is a personal thing. I suspect I'm quite a bit older than you and I can manage ok but 2hrs is about my limit. I wouldn't choose to tour on it but I'm sure some have. It doesn't like stop start 30mph limits and gets pretty hot!
    My engine hand grenaded itself after 1800 miles so I can't comment on longevity but it was replaced by Ducati and seems to have been a one off!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. It's a fair jump in terms of power, but actually the bigger jump will be in terms of the 'attitude' of the bike which where as the Ninja is designed to be useable and smooth at most engine speeds, the 959 is by it's nature slightly 'grumpy' when being asked to conform at low speeds, it's much more of a 40mph+ bike and much more heavily focussed towards committed riding.

It's not like Ducati's of old, the bars are big and wide and not too far from the seat, and in honesty in terms of width it's likely to feel similar to the ninja, but it's probably still a bit more extreme. Personally I would look for one with a standard seat. If you have the 'sports' seats they are higher and that puts more weight on your wrists, I personally got back pains from the high seat on my 899.

In terms of things to look for, like every bike it has it's issues, personally I had issues with the waterpump failing, which is rare but not unknown and would cost around £400 out of warranty at a main dealer. You can tell if there is coolant collecting in between the cylinders and running down the left hand side engine cover when on it's stand. Like I said, don't panic about it, I just know a few people who have had issues.

Just get the best looked after one you can, often with Ducati's the state of bolts and fasteners tells you a lot, and I'd say that if it's got big miles on it, make sure it's had the 'Desmo' Service which is 12k miles I believe.

In terms of servicing, I paid £250 ish per service on mine at main dealers, which ideally you need someone who has the kit to sync the electronic throttle bodies etc, and a 'Desmo' service which includes the valve clearance checks is a full days work I believe so around £600-700.

As always people will tell you their opinion on whether you are ready, I have no idea, I don't know you, if you appreciate the step and the rate in which this bike will pull when you get the motor spinning, and build up then I am sure you will be fine. Best of luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. On horsepower alone, I'd say it's probably too big a jump - more than a 200% increase? Others may comment on realistic running costs but I'd have thought a lot more than you're used to and I doubt it's feasible to do maintenance on the cheap by going DIY for everything.

It's your choice, but I'd strongly recommend you to try out a few alternatives before settling on an upgrade. If you simply look at doubling power, then I'm not sure what twin-cylinder machines would make most sense to consider, but in the Ducati world a test-ride on a Monster might be a good starting point. If it's race-rep character you want then maybe there aren't so many options without trying another Japanese bike - I'm out of touch but the Honda CBR650 or the Yamaha R6 or one of the Kawasaki Ninja 6xx models would all make for an interesting comparison. If 3 cylinders are an option then the various current Triumph mid-range bikes would be unlikely to disappoint although the Daytona 675 hasn't been sold new for quite a while now (and the 765 looks like a special limited-edition). I've never ridden the Daytona 675 but others here have, and it's a highly regarded package; I'm sure the engine would be a massive leap from the Ninja 400.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hello Luke,

I’ll try and answer as many of these as I can the best I can;

Is it too big of a jump to go from a Ninja 400 to a 959? As with anything, it’s mostly to do with the organic matter pulling the throttle. I know people who are dangerous and would spoon a 50cc and I know people who’ve had s1000rr’s as their first bikes with no problems. I passed my test and got a supersport 600 immediately and had no real issues. The baby panigales are pretty user friendly in my book and have a good usable spread of power as well as an array of ‘aids’, not like their bigger brothers which can be angry. (Do check on insurance though if you’re young).
    I'm a short rider (5'7), would i be comfortable on a bike like this? I’m 6ft4 so hard for me to be in your shoes but, they’re not big bikes so you should be okay. Sit on one.
    Curious what the general comfort is like on long rides, could you go touring on it and not break your back? I’ve ridden numerous panigales across Europe, it’s no sofa, but it’s doable if you’re committed and fit.
    What's a rough figure for annual servicing/maintenance like on this sort of bike? No idea. I used to get my servicing done on mates rates. But I’d imagine not too dissimilar to most other bikes. Watch out for the Desmo service at 15k miles. It’s an engine out job and not cheap.
    How many miles can the engine survive for without needing major work done (if the bike is well looked after)? The million dollar question. How longs a piece of string. It depends on many variables. But it should be fine for considerable miles if you’re mechanically sympathetic and don’t ring it’s neck from cold/service it regularly.
    Any general advice or specific need-to-knows before owning a Ducati like this? They’re good bikes generally in my book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. As Adam says above, I’m not sure any bike is too big a jump for a grown man. It’s quicker, badly behaved at low speed (like all Ducati sports bikes) & will get you killed if you’re so inclined but so would a Honda Cub if you get it wrong. Sit on it, try a test ride, then you’ll know. Happy hunting!

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Welcome and enjoy!

8. Just get one. Only young once you know.
    Service costs nice and easy for you as you can take it to Baines at Silverstone. Jeff is ace.
    Bike is easy to ride but can get a bit flustered around town. So stick to the open roads. the power is pretty linear so not scary. Deceptively fast rather than screaming IL4 up to red line.
    I’m 5’5” and my Pani is the most comfortable bike I currently own. :eek:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Welcome to the forum.

10. No matter how well intentioned we all are, no one can tell you how the bike will make you feel, or how you will cope or get on with it, all anyone can do is try and advise based on their own experiences. I'd wager very few have made the same step you're contemplating and also have a similar physical build to you, so their ergonomic experience may be drastically different to yours.

The best advice I can offer is to go to your closest Ducati dealership and book a free test ride on a 959 Demonstrator.
    A pal of mine often said that if you haven't ridden bikes starting with the 999 and onwards range, you won't understand what 'proper fast' means - it can't be explained. You need to try one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Have you had an insurance quote yet ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. £1500ish fully comp

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. For a point of comparison how much was your Ninja insurance?

14. see for me that would be the killer, I just can't understand how anyone can justify that on what is hopefully literally nothing more than a legality tick.... I've paid it when I first drove a car, when ANY car was £1500 to insure so instead of paying for the car (I got a cheap £250 car) I just had the insurance, but to do it as you advance through is just mental (my personal opinion).

This would be enough for me to consider a Supersport 950, as a stepping stone first, as I would wager you can probably insure one for less and would also then give you 70% of the experience of Ducati ownership for a lot less outlay

15. thats not actually that bad considering.

I paid nearly 4 grand insurance for my first car and it couldn’t pull the skin off of a rice pudding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. £261 was the renewal for the Ninja - I imagine it will go down a fair bit after the first year of riding

17. Appreciate all the advice by the way guys, test riding one Saturday so hopefully all goes well!

• Like Like x 4

18. Enjoy!

Just remember, everyday is a school day. There’s plenty of fast riders down in the graveyard mate.

Keep a firm hold on your self control, and most of all enjoy yourself :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I pay £900 for a 4 bike policy, 2018 Supersport being probably most risk. I tried to swap out the Supersport for a new V2, had a 3hour demo and while obviously power more instantaneous not too much difference on the road than the Supersport. Only one broker could get a quote, £2400. I declned. Mind you I am 76 an live in London but do have 25 years NCB.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information