1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Tail Light And Turn Signals Stop Working While Riding

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by 1-3-2-4, Jun 6, 2018.

1. I've tried searching to no avail. Hoping someone here has some ideas, but I'm a little confuggled.

2011 Multistrada 1200. Just installed TuneBoy (tuning and cruise). Same weekend, I installed an integrated tail light from Custom LED to replace the busted stock light. I'm also running an Admore LED lighting kit in my Givi top case, which is piggybacked off the tail light wiring. All was working flawlessly until I stopped the bike today to get something out of the top case. Left the bike running and was surprised to see that the brake, tail, and turn signal lights were completely non-functional! The license plate light was A-OK...

I was hoping it was a simple case of a blown fuse or dislodged connector. However, the lights returned to normal functionality when the bike was turned off and on again. What gives? Does Ducati run Windows? Did my bike just give me the blue screen of death?

I commute in some heavy traffic so I'm a bit concerned. I've sent an email off the Custom LED to inquire about potential CANbus issues and if my piggybacked top case lights are at fault. Also, not sure if TuneBoy's installation can be at fault, but I'm really hoping I can sort this out ASAP. Unfortunately, I do not have time to uninstall the light this week and I'm headed on a 4 day trip this weekend.

Thoughts?

2. Your story kind of resembles mine. I however, had the light working properly for 5 months, I get an error on the dash and only the stop light is affected. I got my old taillight back (the brake light was working but the normal light was gone) and it seems to have fixed the problem. The control of the taillight assembly is coming directly from the BBS (so not on the CANBUS) and I could assume that the custom led taillight does not have the same wattage as the original, so the BBS unit senses this and gives an error. What I don't understand in my case is why the bloody thing worked for 5 months without issues. There is a shortage in taillights from Ducati (this comes from the dealer), and we are in the middle of it. I have ordered another custom taillight which doesn't have integrated turn signals. I hope that I will be luckier this time.

See my experience here

3. I will try holding the brake solid with the engine running to do see if that trips it. I'm also going to disconnect my top case's running lights to see if that's the problem.

What tail light did (or do) you have?

4. This is the one that gives me the problem, and that's the one I have ordered.

5. This is what I was intending to get in the first place but since I couldn't find any reseller in Europe, total price would climb to around 300 euros (taxing and customs). At least you get your satisfaction guarantee and hopefully an explanation. Let us know how it turns out.

6. I will absolutely keep you posted. I've run their tail light on my FZ-09 and FZ-10. Great product. I had one lens pop off while on the highway, but they fixed it free of charge. Otherwise, nary an issue and the overall visibility was excellent. Highly recommended on those bikes - and hopefully on this one...

• Like Like x 1
  7. So, quick update. I still do not know what causes the tail light to stop working. It happens during a ride, and of course, I cannot see when it happens. There are no warnings or indicators on the dash, and the turn signals don't flash at a faster rate to let me know they stopped working. So...

1. I pulled off the Admore LED harness for the top case. No change.
    2. I checked the connections to the light and even taped and zipped tied the connectors together just in case they wiggled during operation. No change.
    3. I removed the Custom LED tail light and replaced it with the busted tail light and factory turn signals. Works perfectly.

Since I was headed out on the trip, I used the stock lights and it's been like that for almost 2 weeks. I have the bike apart for a valve adjustment now, so I plan to hook it up again but without the turn signals. Will report back, but it feels like the light will need to be returned.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information