1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk To Me About Dainese Made-to-measure

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Freerange_egg, Mar 11, 2020.

1. I’ve stopped the necromancy, hence a new thread: Has anyone used or seen Dainese made-to-measure leathers (a.k.a. Custom Works or Fitnet)?

I know BKS made-to-measure would be even better, but it’s even more expensive too. Hideout gets excellent reviews but isn’t around the corner. Dainese Custom Works would be more convenient for me locally, but how good is it?

:) Are Custom Works made in Italy by Rossi's personal tailor or outsourced to a sweatshop?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Any Ducati dealer should be able to offer this if you want Ducati branding, http://www.ducatisumisura.com/en/ or if you are near Silverstone you could go there. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I guess Dainese is shut like the rest of Italy, isn't it? I expect people in Italy have more pressing worries than Custom Works!

The pandemic is going to have all sorts of supply chain, economic and employment consequences. A lot of motorcycle clothing and parts are made in Italy, not just the motorbikes.

4. If you look at the labels a lot of the alpinestars and dianese stuff is made in Vietnam

5. i had my Dainese Suit made to measure in Germany ( Dainese Dortmund Store)
    i was very happy with the progress and time it took.
    sadly i crashed on the second outing, but sent the suit back and it was fully repaired as new, and i couldn't tell the difference

6. I wonder if Custom Works suits are in Vietnam?

Does your suit have a label that says where it was made?

7. sadly i'm not at home to have a look, but when i had it repaired it was send back to Italy, as i received the tracking info.
    but i would take another made to measure when i need a new suit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. After looking into all the details - and being based in the UK - I decided the best answer was Hideout. Lovely though Dainese looks, it doesn't feel quite as supple as Hideout's leather. And I concluded that Hideout has (much) more attention to crucial details too.

The devil's in the safety detail. Dainese leathers are, in the main, only CE-certified to AA. Hideout leathers exceed the Cambridge High-Performance standard (which requires 70% better abrasion resistance than even AAA).

Also, I looked at the small print on expensive Dainese leathers, and it recommends replacing them after 5 years. Hideout guarantees its stitching for life.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Hideout comes highly recommended and they did, so might still, sew in the Helite air bag system. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Personally Held made to measure in my experience are a step above the offers of the likes of alpinestars and Dainese

however if you’re set on Dainese have a chat to Dean Ellison at MCA Leicester

IF you’re after airbag, Dainese is the best. There really isn’t any questioning that at this time. Other brands are a fair way off them with the tech.

#10 Advikaz, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  11. Yes, you're right. Hideout can add either the Helite (tethered) or new In&Motion (electronic) airbag to their leathers.

Also, Hideout could add the Tech-Air – but it's a pricey system and not something I asked about in detail. Hideout makes no claim to be Tech-Air certified, so you might have to supply the airbag vest. Although I've no doubt they could add the system to leathers.

Kate at Hideout has researched airbag systems, and visited one or more airbag manufacturers, so I'd trust her advice.

#11 Freerange_egg, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. You won't go wrong at Hideout, they have been making leather suits for the racing community and many others for decades and only do the highest quality work. No they aren't cheap but they are extremely good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I spoke to Dainese back in early Feb @Dstore Manchester. Phil told me that they tend to organise this twice a year. It used to be done by Silvano who was VR46's PA with suits and left a few years ago. He measured me for my last 1 back in 2014. However it has been done by another equally as good Tailor by Dainese.

14. You have made a wise decision

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Thanks, Michel. I had planned to buy Dainese. But its crap AA rating for leathers :eek: (plus low scores for Dainese in MotoCAP tests) made Hideout the winner by a considerable margin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. It’s not only the quality of their products, but the service and relationships you will build with them. You will become a customer for life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Unlike Scott Leathers – who also make excellent gear – but communicating with customers isn’t Scott’s forte :laughing:

18. I'm curious about this. I thought Alpinestars' system was good (it's gives more coverage except the neck). And In&Motion has had development experience in MotoGP (Bradley Smith) too. What makes the D-Air better? More activations?

E.g. YouTube: In&motion equips some riders involved in MotoGP with its new Airbag solution

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hi Mate,

I have a custom made to measure suit done by Dainese London, been two years now and the suit is in amazing condition even if I wore almost everytime I went on the bike, can vouch for quality and it didn't took too lomg to be made, they made mine before an event that I had, was done in italy at the factory there, updated with the progress and everything was smooth!

One the best things I brought!

And for the 58, I opted in the end on the original number not the gold one

Hope this helps

Screenshot_20200710-091304_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200710-091627_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200710-091326_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200710-091757_Instagram.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Plenty on hideout but I will add that my hideout m2m suit was made in 1999 , still in fantastic condition and held me together in a big get off whilst racing in the Isle of Man.

For what they give you they are peanuts in value.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information