1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Tank Cover Anyone?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by bradders, Jul 12, 2021.

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124559447717

Anyone any experience of these? Thinking easier and cheaper than another tank, get this and fairings printed

Pictures of fitted, experience info, worthwhile or not?
    Thx

2. Yep, have one of those on the 1199 now, all painted up, have a look when you come round, have a 2nd one at the painters aswell for the new paint scheme.

Bought for the same reason, to protect the tank

20190420_140357.jpg

20190420_140341.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. what did you do to protect the original tank from the inside of the tank cover? as I have one of these in the garage but never got around to using it....

4. I have just used a couple of layers of decorators masking tape as someone advised and will use a hairdryer when it needs removing, its all been on there 2 years so far, will see what it looks like when i pop the new one on shortly.

I do know someone that used a thin rubber matting, almost like underlay that he glues to the inside of the tank cover, so that could also be an option.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. How do these affix to the bike? Always been curious. I have the raceseats tank extender but these do a similar job, am I correct?

6. Firstly they are bendy so just flex over the tank, to the rear there is a tab that slots in and gets 'pinched' when the bolt at at the front of the seat unit gets tightened and at the front its retained by 2 bolts just ahead of the ignition barrel as per my pic above.

You can have these do the same job as the tank extender, but the one Bradders has linked and mine are the same shape as the standard tank, to include the tank extender you'd need to buy this one:

http://www.flamingocorse.it/eng/prod/1639/tank-cover-gp-replica.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I need more belly space, not less lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. They are surprisingly roomy on the move.... i'm back to 98kg !!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. You may curse your use of masking tape, once it goes through a few cycles of wet and dry it sets hard and fast to paintwork. You’ll need something like panel wipe or glue and tar remover and leave a soaked cloth on it to soften it, it’ll remove the paper from the glue then it should go to work on the glue. Unless the decorators tape is very water resistant.

Soak it more than use elbow grease, slowly gets you over the line neater.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Its my trackbike, more chance of me getting Christina Hendricks wet !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hopefully you dry wash it too?

I did kinda wonder if you ran wets, but there might but some really keen trackers than run wet and dry bikes who may read your post and mine. Strips of vinyl would be a better and cleaner option for those running wet set ups.

Off to Google Christina Hendricks as you didn’t follow on with a piccie. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wash it ? You can tell we have never met !!!!

It gets the odd wipe down, bugs removed etc .....

As for Christina, you like ? ;-)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information