From A to B in many, many easy steps. I wanted a tank for my Daytona 675 track bike as the bike will eventually go back on the road and the existing bodywork is pretty good (only the tank is left on the bike, rest is all track gear). Scored this rather lovely crash damaged spare off eBay for £30 and set about repairs. Step 1. Ensure the damage was petrol tight. I used Granville Tank repair. Then lots of rubbing down, scuffing up etc. The original paint was OK but I needed to get the badges off so they were taken down to bare metal. I filled the dent with filler and sanded down, getting the radius of the tank corner by eye. Given that the filler had a couple of tiny pinholes (air bubbles) I refilled a couple of times best as I could then applied a whole can of filler/primer which goes on yellow/gold in colour. Then three layers of normal primer. Then flatted back using 1200 then 2000 wet and dry (used wet obviously). I use nail varnish remover from Tesco's to clean the tank before any spraying (you must get the stuff with acetone in it though). Let that dry for a few days and then 4 coats of gloss black (tack coat, 2 wet and a dust coat). Then 4 coats of petrol resistant (Simonize) lacquer. Half way through the mini project I scored another tank. This was because I wanted a fuel pump and mountings for the sprayed up tank as I couldn't be arsed with the faff of changing over come time to sell the bike. I got another tank with fuel pump and all fittings from eBay, this time for £40. The tank was in great shape externally but rusty inside. Triumph say the fuel pump is not serviceable - you have to replace the whole item. Cost close to £200 (EDIT - £200 used - £500.93 new!!!). But, an R1 used the exact same pump and they do sell filters for them. Here's a couple of shots of the pump coming apart and the old/new t bag style filters: Pretty cruddy. The tank also came with a very nice billet racing fuel cap. The nitrile seal was shot so I had to cut a new one to shape from 4mm sheeting. Bets to dip the knife blade in soapy water when cutting this as it stops the blade from snagging. Finally, fit fuel cap, fuel pump, front mounting bracket. Rub down the lacquer coat with 1200, then 2000 then finally 2500 wet and dry. Then a spot of polishing using cutting compound, polish and finally wax and its done. Apply tank decals to match track fairings. Now got to let the lacquer fully cure before I mount on the bike in a few weeks time. Biggest lesson learnt was that even if it looks crap it will turn out ok in the end. I did the top coats on a windy day in the garden as impatience got the better of me. Got a couple of insects stuck in the lacquer but they cut out in the polishing process and you would be hard pressed to find where they were. Now to sell the second (pump donor)tank on eBay.