1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Tank Weight?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Biot, Jan 16, 2022.

1. As title. Had anyone got an 1199 (presume alloy) tank lying around they could weigh for me please. Just the tank without filler cap, pump etc etc.
    Cheers.

2. Can’t find an exact weight for either tank but found a link saying the alloy tank is only .5kg lighter, (not sure how accurate this is).
    Go for a Beater alloy tank. 20L and only 2 odd Kgs. And all that for just £1,900 + shipping! :)

97BE5CF3-B433-46C8-A0D1-9C8CBFD601C8.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I have a 959 one I can weigh for you if that’s any use?

4. 2795 grams Bare alloy tank with only a Ducati performance carbon tank protector and the 2 mounting rubbers at the front adding a few extra grams.

Now @Expat Jack if you can weigh the 959 tank we can answer the alloy vs steel question once and for all!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Isn’t standard one plasttic?

6. No - aluminium for 1199/1299 and steel for 899/959

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Awesome! Didn’t realise that!

8. I think they learned a valuable lesson with the 1098/1198 plastic tanks swelling due to high ethanol fuel.

9. 959 is 3.84 kg with DP tank pad, r&g grips, carbon tank sliders plus nylon fuel union and the two steel overflow unions fitted.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Awesome - I have wanted to know just how much the weight saving was for a while - I haven’t got around to stripping my heavily dented steel tank down to weigh it, so couldn’t make a decent comparison.

The only caveat to this would be that I reckon the tank mounting gear at the back of the alloy tanks looks a fair bit heavier than on the smaller capacity bikes so that would eat into the weight saving.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Happy to help. Hijack alert. How’s the rebuild coming along?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I haven’t done anything on the rebuild front apart from buy the alloy tank and left hand electronics holder - hence having the tank sat around handy for weighing!

I have been keeping an eye out for the the parts I need on here and ebay but the pickings seem sparse. I think covid has just slowed down the world so much that there’s been less general turnover in bike parts.

If it comes to it and the new season starts to draw close I’ll just order everything I need new and bite the bullet on price!

13. Thanks a lot chaps for all your input.
    Deciding if I go for a carbon tank to replace my steel 899 one or go alloy(1199). I’m aware the rear mount shape is different on the tanks; as are the subframes 898/1199.
    @Mary Hinge & his carbon tank issues have put a dent in my lust for a carbon jobbie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. What are your plans for the subframe? You can get away with a steel tank with the alloy subframe but I think you might struggle the other way round due to the fittings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I've got a spare alloy tank going.

16. Carbon subframe, which is meant to marry up with an 1199 tank; as opposed to my 899 tank.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information