1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tcip4 Maps For 900ss.... Anyone Had Experience?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by andrewinuk, Jun 27, 2018.

1. I've got my TCIP4 Ignition unit arriving today and been playing with the advance curve to match the Ducati Performance AL9000 2.4 and 3.0 curves to suit my high compression engine, but I've ZERO experience with this, just used their "Ducati_kokusan_bosch_v88.ign" as a starting point and moved the parameters to suit based on the advance's below....

And as i have a dyno session on Monday and Donnington on Thursday, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with setting these up on a non standard engine.... My Dyno slot with Steve Jordan is unfortunately not long enough for him to do anything but swap between the maps i load up onto the unit.

Engine is a high compression 1000DS with 900 heads with a Denso LMZ92 flywheel. Carbs and inlets are standard, but airbox lid is opened and it has slip-ons with baffles in.

Any thoughts, words of wisdom or settings are much appreciated.

DP AL9000 Brochure
    ducati 900ss Ignition advance.jpg

Ducati_kokusan_bosch_v88 (std map that comes pre-programmed)
    Ducati_kokusan_bosch_v88.JPG

Ducati_kokusan_bosch_v88+AL9000.2.4
    Ducati_kokusan_bosch_v88+AL9000.2.4.JPG

Ducati_kokusan_bosch_v88+AL9000.3.0
    Ducati_kokusan_bosch_v88+AL9000.3.0.JPG

2. Hi Andrew.

Right, first off, what coils are you running and what resistance are they?
    Are you running four individual coils or twin output coils?

Secondly, the ignitech is pretty much doing what those ducati performance cdi boxes were doing but a bit better.

You probably won't go far wrong with getting a tps as well if your carbs don't already have one on them.
    :)

3. Standard 900SS coils, but not sure of the resistance, so just two single coils as using single plug 900SS heads.

And not thought of getting a TPS but will explore as a Stage 2.... or Stage 3 :) Depends when i get stuck into the new bike!

4. So more than likely its going to be 3ohm coils.

The ignitech has some very high output drivers built into it so upu can use much lower impedence coils with it.
    The tps will allow a very smooth ignition response and then you can truly start to map the curve across the range and really make the ignitech sing.

Your best friend at this point in time is a guy called Liam Venter

He runs an outfit called fast bike gear in new Zealand and has written a very comprehensive manual for the ignitech tcip4.

He charges 10nzd which is about six or seven quid, and to boot he is all about Ducati and knows the ignition system on these very well.

I was on the phone to him for an hour last night, incredibly helpful.

Email him, tell him i recommended him and start by buyinv his manual as its very helpful to explain the theory of your ignition

He also does retrofit tps kits for the ducati carbs :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. What a great resource! Thanks :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information