1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Temperature Gauge Glass Crack!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Gary0003, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Why does the temperature gauge glass always crack? and is there a way to stop this?
    Does anyone know where I can get a replacement as they seem pretty rare.
    Thanks.

2. if you can give me the diameter and thickness, I can lasercut you one from clear acrylic. Maybe not OEM, but free and easy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary, I have white clocks on mine and the temp gauge has that dreaded Ducati crack, I think the clear plastic 'glass' is too tight in the bezel and cracks when the gauge gets hot. I bought a second hand black one on ebay for around £20 - they come up now and then. I thought it would be a doner for the 'glass' but they need to be cut off very precisely, the bezel will not come off without breaking. In the end I forgot about it and the bike has had the problem for the 10 years I have owned it with no detriment to it working

upload_2016-7-8_20-6-45.png

4. there were a couple company's out there that done aluminium Bessels/ faces which included new glass, I done mine to mainly change from kph to mph, it was a diy job but I got them to do it for me, I kinda liked the look of them to, place that done mine was casoli moto which I know is closed now, maybe someone knows if theres anywhere else? done around 16k and had the bike 4years with no probs,
    [​IMG]

5. I have had the clock faces changed on my 998 and have seen the job done with regard to removing the bezel. It's not for the faint hearted and you need to know how to do it properly or you will do more harm than good.

The gauge "glass" is actually bonded to the outer bezel and it will therefore require replacement of both to get it to look as per original. It is almost impossible to get the "glass" out of the bezel without at least breaking or damaging the bezel.

I actually have a set of the Casoli alloy bezels but have never yet bothered to fit them.

With these you can actually use proper glass in the faces and that will stop the problem from reoccurring, however these bezels are no longer available from anyone that I know of. I can recommend and steer you towards one person who may be able to help if you have a spare good bezel with "glass". I have never used him but I have spoken to him on the phone and he is lined up to replace my bezels for alloy ones in the future.

http://www.guagerepairs.com/

Clocks 998 .jpeg

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

6. How did you get the odometer to show the model of your bike?
    Nice trick!

7. Pure luck, it just happened to be on 998 miles when the gauges were swapped, you can see that I had also done 21.5 miles on the trip meter, so that was the last run I did before the gauge swap.

The now defunct Superdials, run by Rob Driver at the time, did the swap and he was the one that explained how to crack the bezel open without damaging it. Quite worrying watching him do it!!

Rob sold out to Lockwood when he gave up the business.

Custom Dials, gauges, Speedo meter clocks & KMH to MPH conversion. By Lockwood

Do Not Sell My Personal Information