1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Termignoni Burned On Crap!

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by killjoy, Nov 12, 2018.

1. So, picked up my new Hypermotard on Saturday, and I'm overjoyed! put 200 miles on this weekend, including the ride back from Ducati Coventry to Manchester, and then doing the Ring of Red around the M60 on Sunday.

Understandably, the bike was absolutely filthy Sunday afternoon, so I thought I'd give it a good wash before putting away, because I love detailing! Upon drying it though, my drying towel touched the mid pipe on the Termi, and has burned onto the surface of the titanium, I tried cleaning it with some turps on a rough sponge, but it hasn't shifted! haven't tried anything else yet, anyone got any recommendations? I don't want to run it again unless I stain the pipe!

2. Oven cleaner.

3. … really!?

4. Think about the burnt on crud it can shift from an oven. Well worth a try.

5. Try MHP exhausts, they are manufacturing bespoke titanium systems..surely would know how to clean them.
    Mobile. 07788 788352

6. That's true, I'm just worried about marking/staining £2,000 worth of titanium pipe!

7. #7 Borgo Panigale, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Ouch. You can also try @rob lewis 'our' resident detailer.

9. WD40... For a deep clean use thinners and then a vinegar based cleaner.

Domestos limescale remover works a treat on mucky or rusty steel headers and exhausts, never tired it on titanium though.

10. Angle grinder, that would have it off in a jiffy! . Plenty of sparks too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. +1 on the thinners.
    This worked for me with burned on plastic/rubber from a pillions boot.

12. You would need Creamy's ninja like skills so as not to scratch the surface though :thinkingface:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  13. Autosol????

14. A solvent like thinners is a much better idea but having said that, an abrasive cleaner where the abrasive in the cleaner is softer than the titanium would work.
    Most metal polishes use titanium oxide, I think, so not a metal polish.
    However, Jif might do the trick, especially if you team it up with a white, non-stick type scouring pad, which won't affect the titanium. Do not use a green scourer, they are really hard and are very likely to mark the exhaust.

15. Tried with some turps and a scouring pad over the last couple of days, it may have made a small difference or it may be the placebo.

16. Get the pipe really hot and it will incinerate most of the crud on the pipe, then it's a case of reducing grades of wet and dry.

Domestos is worth a try but dont get it on anything else.

17. Turps won't do it, it needs to be thinners, thinners will take it straight off.
    A green scouring pad will scratch the metal, it needs to be a white one with Jif or Brasso, both of which will be softer than the metal but harder than the plastic.

18. If it's a polished finish, wet and dry followed by polishing will allow you to get the finish back but imho, if there's any texture to the finish, wet and dry will destroy the texture and the finish will be permanently damaged.

19. It's the generic, fresh matt titanium that Termignoni put out. Never polished or anything. I'll give that a try, I'm just worried about marring the finish!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information