1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Termignoni Titanium Race Exhaust With Dds Race Map For Mts 1260

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Espen, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Due to very limited information on the 1260 Race Termignoni Titanium Exhaust kit I figured I´d share some of my findings. Hopefully this will help you decide to go or not go this route.

First off, this is a pretty expensive piece of kit for not gaining much bhp on top. Though, after riding my kitted 1260S I am not looking back.

image1.jpeg image1.jpeg

The Multistrada 1260 is a wonderful bike and it gets a lot of very good reviews out there. However some owners (including me) put a finger on the abrupt throttle response from acceleration to deceleration. The transition from engine power to engine breaking is very harsh at all revs. Shutting off cruise control is also affected by this.

To be frankly, after riding the kitted bike around, I actually believe the bike was designed this way with the race exhaust and the race map. Then someone adjusted the bike for Euro4 emissions and introduced throttle jerkiness. The Termignoni kit actually transforms the 1260 to a very smooth ride and there is no hint of the "feared" throttle jerkiness and harsh cruise control effect when cruise is turned off.

Before pulling the plug I was puzzled as to how little information is available for the system and the mapping for the 1260. Actually I still can not find any useful information from the official Ducati or Termignoni sites. I almost didn´t go this route because of this. Some of the things I wanted to know were:
    • Part numbers
    • How it does affect power and sound
      • Is the DB killer any good?
    • Weight compared to stock system
    • Is the system hard to fit?
    • How the DDS MAP-KEY is used
      • Will a preowned DDS MAP-KEY work on my bike?
    • How the Race map affects the riding experience. Does it really tune the bike or does it only remove the exhaust servo function
    • Does the dash say Racing anywhere? Is there a Racing replacing the Sport mode in the menu?
    I´ll try answer these and maybe some more questions below.

Part number for the kit incl. DSS MAP-KEY: 96481471A
    Part number for the DSS MAP-KEY is: 96510851A
    image7.jpeg

Weight:
    The complete Termignoni uses the OEM headers from front and rear cylinder.

The total weight of the kit is: 5.7 kg (excluding the 2 x oem headers)
    • Front elbow: 1,2 kg
    • Rear elbow: 1.3 kg
    • Y-pipe: 0.6 kg
    • Muffler: 2.6 kg
    image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

OEM exhaust: 9.3 kg
    • Catalytic converter: 6.4 kg
    • Muffler: 2.9 kg
    image6.jpeg

Weight saving: 3.6 kg

Fit and finish seems very good though time will tell when being ridden for a while.

Fitting the exhaust:
    The prosess is very simple. I did the swap with the bike on the center stand. The only thing you need to remove from the bike is the engine guard, the right pillion footrest and the 3 x 10mm bolts on the front exhaust manifold. Remove the exhaust springs, 2 exhaust clamps and the 3x 10mm nuts on the header and the exhaust is "loose". Pull it apart and fit the new system and the parts in reverse order.

The kit comes with:
    - Exhaust
    - New right side pillion footrest bracket including muffler mounting
    - DSS MAP-KEY

Installation instructions
    DVT1200, more or less identical to 1260 instructions. The only difference I spot is the bolt for the dBkiller is located inside the pipe on the 1260 and on the back outside of the muffler on the 1200 version.

Power:
    I don´t know anyone with a dyno close by so was not able to dyno the bike before/after.

The official numbers are:
    Power at medium rpm [hp] +7%
    Torque at medium rpm [Nm] +5%
    Max. Power [hp] +1%
    Max. Torque [Nm] +5%

Initial ride impressions before up-map with dB killer:
    2-6k rpm: Less power than stock and throttle response is not as instant as stock
    With noisekiller installed it seems from 5k and above is close to power output as stock bike.

Without dB killer insert before up-map:
    2-6k rpm same as with dbkiller
    6-8k rpm has more power! In 2. gear it will lift the front and raise it to the sky on power alone as with stock exhaust it lifted the front a little and came down again. So, there is a clear change in this range.
    8-10k rpm: seems a bit better than stock but not really any big change

Unmapped vs mapped, riding impressions:
    Unmapped feels lean below 8k rpm compared to the original exhaust. The throttle response from 2-6k rpm is like pulling a rubber band compared to instant power with OEM exhaust. The jerking on/off throttle is less due to this effect.

Race map feels better below 8k rpm than unmapped. Powerwise there are some gains compared to unmapped but not by a huge amount. Though throttle jerkiness is gone.

With the update there was also an update for the ecu/dash. I believe it said v20 on the pc screen. Quickshifter seems quicker though I have no idea if this is due to the race map or the version upgrade.

Riding back home from uploading the Race Map the bike now lifts the front out of tight corners in 2. gear from 5k rpm. Accelerating on full throttle in 1. lifts the front (no surprise there), short shifting using the quickshifter now results in the front coming up instantly in 2. as well. Shortshifting into 3. gear the front feels light but not lifting unprovoked.

Sound:
    With the dB killer insert the bike is not really that much louder than with the oem system at idle. Though when riding the noise is very nice and once the exhaust is heated up it sparkles and cracks a lot, especially when using the quick-shifter and auto-blipper. This was also happening with the oem exhaust, only a lot more muted. At cruising speed the sound is nice and damped and long rides will not be painfull. I ride without earplugs as I like to hear what is going on.

Without the dB killer insert this thing is pretty loud on full go. Blip the throttle and it bangs and shoots flames. At cruise the noise is perfectly ok. Above 60mph/100kmh helmet wind noise makes the exhaust silent at cruise. Give it some juice and the thing sounds great and intoxicating and really brings the ear to ear smile. The crackles and booms on deceleration and quick-shift/auto-blipping is just great. Oh, and there is no hint of chain chatter or other noises to worry about :p

Engine light, pre Race mapped:
    After 2-3 startups (exhaust fitted, no race map) and a short ride the yellow engine light came up on dash.
    So, i connected the Ducati OBD2 connector and the ELM327 Bluetooth interface to my 1260S and started up the DashCommand app on my iPhone and it immediately found the error code "P0078 Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Bank 1". Using the app I cleared the code and the yellow engine light on the dash was gone.
    image1.png
    Note, the engine light will come back on if the servo does not notice any resistance.

Race map disables the servo and engine light. No servo cycling when turning the ignition on.

Fuelling:
    I’ve measured the AFR with a wideband lambda and noted down some fuelling values before and after the race map update.

The Wideband lambda setup:
    image4[1].jpeg image5[1].jpeg

My findings were that the Race Map adds more or less 1 AFR to the fuelling across the entire rev range, hence proving the point some say that the bike is running a tad lean with a full system and no race map.

At 10000 rpm the OEM AFR with race exhaust was 13.5:1. With the Race map installed AFR readout was 12.8:1 at 10000 rpm.

DDS MAP-KEY programming explained:
    The MAP-KEY that comes with the kit contains the actual Race map. I bought the system used (1 hr) from a 1260 Pikes Peak and luckily the MAP-KEY worked on my bike too.

When transfered the MAP-KEY contains the original map as the race file is in the bike. The programming has to be done at a service center. The same goes to resetting back to original. The MAP-KEY is never mounted directly to the bike, so once done at the service center, keep the MAP-KEY safe somewhere.

Note: The V4 Race map follows the original bike and system. The dealer can only register the Race map for the V4 once hence it can not be passed to another bike. This restriction is actually something Termignoni and Ducati are planning on doing on upcoming models/systems.

First connect the wire loom to the Ducati Diagnostics System + DDS MAP-KEY
    image1[2].jpeg
    Next, use the diag software to update the bike. Takes about 10 minutes.
    image2.jpeg image3.jpeg
    When done the startup screen on the Multistrada 1260S displays Racing
    image4.jpeg
    Ride modes and menu settings seems identical to unmapped unit. Sport mode is still named Sport and there is no Racing mode. I was told by the dealer that only the R-versions get "Racing" though I believe the V4 actually gets Racing when mapped.

Hopefully this was somewhat informative and helps the decision you may have when it comes to doing the upgrade or not.

#1 Espen, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 4
  2. A bit lean then. Would be good to see the difference with the upmap installed. Lots of people say the upmap only disables the exhaust valve but I don’t believe that. It must add fuel below 7500rpm and at wot and overrun .

3. Very nice write up and great info.!

4. Updated original post with impressions and measurements after Race map is applied.

5. Great write up, thank you for taking the time.

Write ups like these are becoming less common and harder to find as people now use Facebook to ask questions and get answers, never to be found again.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Agreed :upyeah: Keep informing us, guys & gals :)

7. Could you do some AFR comparisons

8. It is in the post. With and without the Race map

#8 Espen, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  9. Sorry, see it now. Not the biggest of differences. How does it feel riding with the upmap?

10. Feels a bit crisper and pulls better. Not really a big difference but it feels better fueled.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for the great write up. Always had termi systems from new with the upmap. This time however I want to fit a full Akrapovic system. Concerned regarding lack of upmap or remapping availability. Akra say no remap required but I don’t believe that.

12. I would like to go this route but my Dealer says getting the upmap is almost impossible now for the 18's....you have to "prove" the bike will be off road only. Not sure how this can be if you buy the exhaust and it comes with the map key.....

So frustrating with all the misinformation out there.

13. Why don't you believe Akra? I have a full system on 1260 and it runs great. Maybe with proper tuning (not a one-fit-all upmap) it would be better, but it's perfectly fine without remapping. I did not measure AFR, but there are no any lean symptoms. BTW, the numbers Espen provided are way off the chart, at least for low RPM. With 20:1 ratio the engine probably won't run at all

• Like Like x 1
  14. Do you have any photos of the system installed? Also how does it sound? Loud?

15. It sounds amazing albeit a bit loud. I may consider to by a DB killer (was suprised that it did not come with the slip-on, all my previous Akra slip-ons included it).
    IMG_20180907_134453.jpg IMG_20180907_134442.jpg IMG_20180907_134524.jpg

16. DEB7BB34-F65C-4AA8-8542-2D69A0C3B9F4.png Difficult to fit? I am looking at this system.

17. Not at all. And if you could get a second pair of hands (to keep a rear cylinder header pipe in place while you attach the front) it would be 1 hour job.
    I went with 2015-2017 headers because they were on sale and after contacting Akra, they confirmed that the only difference between these and new headers is the new 2018 does not come with carbon heat shield. The reason is that if you go with the slip-on on your picture, you don't need this heat shield.

18. How does the fuelling feel? Still jerky at low rpm??

19. I didn't notice any fuelling difference before and after. But, to be honest, I don't consider the bike jerky at low RPM. It probably depends on what you compare it to. I have Aprilia Tuono V4 and that bike is really jerky. Multi is a butter smooth compared to Tuono.
    BTW, there was a long discussion on Aprilia forum regarding low RPM jerkiness. The verdict was that it's caused by Euro 4 standard where ECU just cuts ignition off when a throttle is completely closed. That actually could explain lots of popping during dissertation (unburned fuel ignites in the headers). Several professional tuners tried to adjust AFR @ low RPM/little throttle input and nothing eliminated the jerkiness. I suspect, it's the same for 1260. So, don't expect any mapping to fix the low RPM jerkiness completely.

#20 ZR1000A1, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information