1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test Of Security!

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by yellowducmaniac, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Went to unlock the padlock/chain securing my bike to its ground anchor this morning and the key snapped off in the lock...the lock and chain are pretty chunky and were very expensive.
    My initial thoughts were hacksaw, but it just slid off the hardened surfaces, in the end it took me about half an hour with my disc cutter to get through the padlock shackle...and a lot of noise and foul language, fuck knows what my neighbour thought was happening.
    Moral is no matter what level of security you think you have, under the right circumstances it dont mean squat!.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. You cannot make stuff "secure" - only "more secure". Still worthwhile.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Always lube your shackle mechanism, even if you are not going to use it for many months. I do mine top & bottom & down the lock part from time to time. As I live in a static-caravan & when needed fire up a honda eu2600i genie when the farm-power gets knocked out. And that thing ain't going walkies'

What brand of lock was it?

4. Freaky, gunz you just reminded of woody harrelson's character in the film 2012 :D

5. Should have got a couple of local scrotes in to help.........it’d have been sorted in under 2 minutes

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. :thinkingface:
    shopping.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. In Austria, my key snapped off in my petrol cap lock, Honda Pan European motorcycle, none of it was protruding. I had no petrol and didn’t have a spare

this method sorted it

get a safety pin, bur over the last 1mm or less of the tip.you can slide the tip down beside the key, and ‘hook’ and pull it out.
    You’ll need to ease it alternating each side, and it’ll slowly come out.

I always carry a safety pin on my or jacket nowadays

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Yeah tried it...key was partly engaged in tumblers and wouldn't move.

9. Well at least you've tried it,i've never had a problem with a paddock in that manner before.

#10 XH558, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  10. Thanks for that image.
    Do you whistle Dixie while you’re ‘doin it’
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Hacksaw readily available?

Was your grinder mains or battery?

12. [QUOTE="DucatiScud, post: 1519549, member: 42392

Was your grinder mains or battery?[/QUOTE]

Mains... i seriously dont think a rechargeable grinder would have done it.

13. Mains... i seriously dont think a rechargeable grinder would have done it.[/QUOTE]

You’d be surprised how well some of Hilti branded tools work.

It’s just a lightweight question only, if all these were to hand ya local scaly wouldn’t need to bring his own tools or use his own consumables. You’ve helped out no end......just saying like

14. Yeah i hear what you're saying.....

Lock was a big Abloy Padlock, the grinder is a heavy duty industrial Hilka i had borrowed from work a couple of weeks before xmas to cut up some slabs!, any scummers would have to get through the garage door and alarm first...and then me.;)

15. only if ya in........

• Useful Useful x 1

16. These look tough though

17. Oh, I seldom go out...:eyes:.

18. In an ideal world, and with easy access...

19. I've got an Almax, bit like an anchor chain for an oil tanker but not quite as light. Good piece of kit for home/storage although it might be a bit heavy to carry about if travelling.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information