1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Textile Suit

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Ballbagracer, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Oxford Montreal 3.0 jacket and 2.0 trousers. Anyone have any reviews on these? they are selling cheap at the moment and get a "Ride best buy" review. :)

2. Try the “Ride Best Buy” review ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. Already read that (you cheeky man) I was hoping for some real life reviews :p

4. Got one good jacket for first few months then it rains and about as waterproof as a new string vest

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. The only problem with a fabric jacket that has a separate waterproof membrane that I have found, when the fabric loses its water resistance which it will do over time if you don't 're proof the fabric, the water that seeps through the fabric gets trapped outside of the waterproof membrane and when you put your arms down, the water runs into your gloves. Gortex laminate fabric jackets whilst currently expensive, are a lot better. Andy

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. I will never use Oxford after 2008...bought a tailpack, guaranteed waterproof. Nice surprise after 6 hours of riding in the rain on 1st euro trip. Unpacked to find everything damp, and clothes at bottom wet. Much amusement for others that the jeans that I had packed looked like I had pissed myself. Not a bit either.
    Thumbs down from me. Cheap shite.
    Waterproof textile means a laminate goretex. Expensive. Otherwise wear a goretex outer, some of the cycling ones are good and reasonable on cost too. Can be worn over leathers.

7. I was looking for some new good all year riding gear, but didn't want to pay RUKA prices. I did my research and plumbed for the Richa Atlantic jacket and pants. Still expensive but every bit as good as the more expensive brands. The fit for me is excellent as is the material, I'm only 5'6" and the pants were available in a short leg which was a bonus.
    Also D3 armor incl back protector

worth a look.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/321850

If you shop around there are cheaper places.

8. Rukka is best, but too hot for me (wife has one for UK use). I now only use Rev-It gear, for comfort. A full suit is nearing £1k, though and it doesn't last that well. Sizing is good and multiple lengths available. I have used the suit for run from Portsmouth to Scunthorpe & back in February without being frozen (with underlayers) and also in Spain (with waterproof layers removed) at 30+ in Spain without actually boiling over (provided I can keep moving).

You get what you pay for.

9. Had Frank Thomas (which I assume is now Oxford) and tbh the sticking keeps failing and the thing was 100% waterproof. As long as it didn’t rain the indeed it was.

#9 bradders, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  10. I would suggest trying some of the Halvarssons gear, from Moto-Legends in Guildford. Really well priced, does pretty much as I've found, what it says on their tin, if you know what I mean, very adaptable, adjustable, and great quality to boot.

Go and have a look and try their stuff, I would doubt you wouldn't be pleased/impressed.

11. I doubt at £140 it will keep the water out for a long time.
    Maybe buy a reasonably priced summer jacket or keep the one you have (you can wear thermal base layer) and get a Goretex overlay jacket. Klim goretex Forecast or Klim goretex Stow away, these are around £200.
    With a total of £300-350 spent on upper body you will have full summer riding gear and full waterproof/winter gear.
    IMHO best out there is the triple layer laminated Goretex....but quite expensive and still on the hot side above 27C.

12. IMO despite what all the labels on the clothes declare nothing works or is as good as Gore-Tex. There’s a reason why it is the price differential it is. Anything else will keep you dry for xxxkm/hrs, Gore-tex will keep you dry for ever. Apart from condensation. And, no, I don’t work for them, just many years experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Still wear the Rukka gear I bought 10yrs ago .... still keeps me dry and looks ok
    Only replaced a zip pull so far

14. Not a brand I'd previously have considered but these review quite well...

...their dry bags are pretty reliable so I don't doubt that if they fit and feel good then they're not a bad buy.

15. I'm yet to buy anything at all from Oxford that doesn't fall apart within six months. I've got to admit that I found it bizarre that they are sponsoring MotoRapido Ducati but might just be a business masterstroke having the association.

One thing I've learnt through extreme testing over the years in the Military and hanging around in the mountains a lot is there's absolutely no point going cheap on protective gear, whether it is protection from the elements or from hitting the tarmac you need to spend the money if you want it to do it's job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Thanks guys, a bit to think about yet then.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information