1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 The 5 Best Items To Improve Your Bike

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Wazza, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Hi may I ask what are the best 5 upgrades that you ve made or would like to make

For my 1098S
    1 full 70mm Akr with ECU and k&n
    2 HM Piant Quick Shifter
    3 STM GP Z40 Slipper clutch
    4 M7-RR
    5 Stomp Grips
    Suspension Set up not included which should be number 1 but I be still not found any one where I live that can do it .
    Yours are ?

2. Best thing I did to mine, and there was a lot, was a bigger tank. I used the fuelcell one. Freed up a genuine 100-120 mile range. I was dipping into the 60's on spirited rides and planning the day around petrol stations did my head in. Running out even more so.

• Like Like x 1
  3. On the 1098R,
    • BST Carbon Wheels
    • Full 72mm system c/w slash cut Termi's (For the noise, performance & aesthetics) :)
    • Quickshifter
    • Superpole seat
    • Slipper clutch
    • I know you said 5, but the Nemesis traction control system is impressive. adjustable rear sets are a must for me too

4. Rear sets are a must I agree but that's the thing only 5

5. Well I'm not taking my rear sets off, you can f**k off :mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. 100% suspension (http://www.100pcsuspension.co.uk/calendar/) go round track days setting up bikes. You can turn up to one of the track days and they will do it for you. If they/you think it needs to be revalved/worked then they will do it via post.

I've not tried them but going to meet them on the 996 at Silverstone on Tuesday (weather permitting).

7. On my '03 999, the best money I've spent has been on a new Yuasa combined with a cable kit.

I had the same problem with it that I had with my SS - slow cranking and starting that was so iffy I always wondered if I'd get stranded somewhere.

None of that now - starting is urgent and immediate with no need to worry at all, ever.

That's worth a hell of a lot to me. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tell us how you get on please

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I was exactly the same with the 1098R.

It was extremely tempermental when trying to start it. if you didn't catch it immediately, it would flood and you could forget about trying to start it for days afterwards. I lost all confidence in the bike as you never knew if it would start. I put into the dealer for investigation, but they couldn't find the problem. I was on the verge of breaking it and selling for parts.

As a last throw of the dice, I changed over to a lithium battery and uprated cables. The bike hasn't missed a beat since and started every time on the button. It turns out that even though the battery was giving a good voltage reading, during cranking, this was dropping dramatically, not having enough power to feed the ignition circuit along with the starter.

There's no fun in having a bike that you have no confidence in, so I'll also move my battery upgrade to the top of the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. New tyres and new sprocket and chain kit

11. 848 evo...
    -1 front sprocket
    Ohlins ttx shock
    Ohlins front end
    Supercorsa tyres
    Full custom map from cjs

139 rwhp that was faultless thru the range and suspension that never bottomed out and handled like it waa on rails

12. For me on my 848 it was-

1- suspension setup
    2- superpole seat
    3- rizoma footpegs
    4- translogic quickshifter
    5- progrip grips (although I have now binned them as I have a domino quick action throttle that came with grips that are just as good)

13. I like the idea of the quick action throttle but until I can afford one can the standard one be tightened up enough to make it more bearable I find it a real pain.

14. D16RR

1. Softer springs front and rear so that it is slightly softer than granite.
    2. Enlarged tank to take fuel range up from 60 to over 90 miles :)
    3. BST Carbon wheels to get a 17" rear so that I can use decent tyres instead of the crap standard BT-01s
    4. Fibreglass fairings so that I can ride with less fear of the consequences of a spill
    5. Fibreglass light-less nose and tail piece for the track
    6. JHP Map for the GP07 ECU (soon to be replaced by a CJS custom map).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. You can only adjust the cables to remove any slack, should be a couple of MM.
    I think mine was £130ish inc correct cables.

16. Buy an R1 throttle tube, £25 tops from ebay and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 15 when I got one.

Not enormously quicker action but usefully so. Took out all the slack as well, which was a real bonus cos there's no waiting for the point at which the power comes in when opening the throttle exiting slow corners etc, it's always immediate, so 100% predictable.

#17 Old rider, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Just means you can get full throttle without the need for a second grab. If you want a good value ;real' one, Venhill are just that

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Yes it's the slack that I m having the issue with feels like 1/4 of a turn before I feel anything so is it the throttle cable length causing the issue ?

20. That's 6, stop showing off :Sour:

Sent from my crappy works PC using nothing but my fingers.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information