1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Choice

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by PerryL, Apr 17, 2021.

1. On the left is the Aprilia Tuono 660 and on the right is the new Ducati Monster (937cc, I think). The Ducati is a little more expensive but is about 18bhp up and has the dreaded cornering ABS (discussed in another thread - at length). It will be at least 6 months before I have to choose but right now.... I, I, I, I don't know. The plan will be to look at both in the flesh and try to get test rides.
    I welcome anyone's thoughts or financial contributions but please no other bike suggestions - my brain can't take it!

upload_2021-4-17_22-17-49.png

2. Monster get it bought :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Looks like one has a fairing and the other has eight -depending on which review you read- more horses. Ducati will have a wider/ better dealership backup.

What's the cost difference? Do they both have the same warranty?

4. Have you considered a Nissan Leaf? :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. In 6+ months you might have different priorities: it would make sense to look at what's available then, not now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Ducati is around £10,300 and the Aprilia is £9,700, but if you add the cornering ABS option then it goes up to about £10,100. They both come with two year warranties. Dealership back up is not a factor. My nearest motorcycle shop is Frasers who are Aprilia dealers plus there is Moto Corsa a bit further away in Gillingham (near my brother) and I think there is somewhere to my north in Hereford (ish). With Ducati, I have Riders in Bristol and Bridgewater. So dealership is not really a factor. I have dealt with Frasers for years (when I had Kawasakis) and I've bought two Monsters from Riders and been there many, many times for spares for other Ducatis and they have a coffee shop!

7. Yes!

When thinking about buying a car!!!

Problem solved as I am not getting any car of any description

Just an Aprilia, or a Ducati, or an Aprilia, or a Ducati, or an Aprilia, etc, etc, etc....

At least I know that it will be an Italian bike!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Could you get both Perry save having to choose

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Actually, I could. And that has been a thought but I would struggle to justify it.

Would be fun though!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Buy one, if you like it keep it, if you don't like it sell it. There really are not many crap modern bikes around so you probably can't go wrong.

11. In my typical see-saw day, I decided on the Aprilia and even set it up as my desktop background. And then I looked into things a bit more - and I was suffering a bit as I fell over yesterday doing my walking and trying to get my step-count up - I thought, "No, the Ducati is better". The Aprilia has come off my desktop background (gone back to plain colour) and now I favour the Ducati. As I know that I would not be disappointed - well, I've never been disappointed with any Ducati that I've bought in the past! - then providing my money comes through OK, it will be the Ducati. I've decided! Until tomorrow....

If I put cornering ABS on the Aprilia and go for the colour that I favour, there is only a few hundred pounds difference in price. The Ducati suspension is not as adjustable as the Aprilia's but I'm not that worried. And by the time that I'm ready, Ducatis will probably have an upmarket version with trick suspension.

As i said before, I need to test ride and look at the bikes in the flesh.

12. Aprilia is by far the looker of the two!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. That is what keeps drawing me to the Aprilia. The Ducati has more power and some fancy electronics, but it is no looker compared to the Aprilia. Mind you, I've have seen neither in the flesh. Also the suspension on the Aprilia is more adjustable, but I don't really know if this matters. And I might upgrade either bike to Ohlins, anyway. Both bikes are a bit too new to start investigating but in time, I imagine that suspension companies will catch up.

14. I won't go attacking the marque anymore but seeing those two side by side it's an easy choice for me if appearance is the priority.

15. The picture of the Aprilia is bog standard (but the colour is £200 extra, I think) but I did add a few things to the Ducati to improve its looks - I know I did the belly pan and possibly an instrument shroud. So, the pictures are not 100% fair for price comparison.

But to complicate things further, I have two more contenders: Ducati Supersport
    upload_2021-4-19_0-12-57.png
    and Aprilia RS660 at £10,200 with 100 bhp.
    upload_2021-4-19_0-22-47.png
    I think one of these two over the first two. Both are better looking to me.

16. On looks, I think that they are very close. I can't choose between them. The Aprilia is about 2 grand less but 10 bhp down. The Aprilia weighs 169kg

17. Again, the more expensive Ducati has all the tricks.....
    upload_2021-4-19_1-15-30.png

18. if you are now considering the Supersport then it's a no brainer for me after watching recent reviews.

19. I would justify it by saying after what I had been through I deserve it :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Well actually that could be quite useful for even buying one bike. My family will be dead against it with my sister threatening to never speak to me again!

First task will be to get my license back and the ST3 legal. I would justify the road testing bit by using your argument. "Look, after everything I've been through…"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information