1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Difference Between The 1100s And 1100evo Engine

Discussion in 'Monster' started by folbjo, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Can anyone explain to me the difference between the engines of the 1100s and 1100Evo? The only thing I know is that the Evo engine has a wet clutch and 5 hp more. Is an Evo engine better than an S, and why?

2. The 1100S used the DS engine (dual spark, 2 plugs per cylinder) which was also used in the Multi-strada & Sport Classic range. The Evo has one spark plug per cylinder. More info here:
    Ash On Bikes | Straight Talking

3. Out of the box, the DS engine is much more tractable at low revs (below 3000rpm), the Evo is hard work, very snatchy due to emissions compliance I believe. A Rexxer reflash of the ECU is essential imo, makes the bike much nicer at lower speeds especially in traffic. The 1100S has Ohlins suspension which is superior to the Marzocchi front forks & Sachs rear shock fitted to the Evo. Lots more info here: www.ukmoc.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thanks for the answers, and thanks for the links chrisw. I see certain changes have been made between them?
    Is it possible to conclude that the Evo engine is a better engine, considering the improvements that have been made?. Regarding durability?

5. I have an 1100S - it’s a great bike all around with the motor and Ohlins suspension.
    Mine has around 10k miles and has been extremely reliable.
    I love the low down stomp off the throttle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The DS engine has a reputation for being bullet proof and as bigredduke says, not complicated by later exhaust emissions regulations. Andy

7. I haven't any direct experience of the M1100s but I do own a 2012 1100 Evo & an SC with the DS engine. In my opinion, the DS engine is a peach and if I were making choice based purely on the engine alone, I prefer the characteristics of the DS.
    Having said that, I prefer the lower exhaust configuration of the Evo to the higher exhaust on the M1100S from a purely aesthetic viewpoint but the standard exhaust on the Evo is ugly and heavy & the bike deserves better. If memory serves, the M1100S was available up to 2010 & the Evo from 2011 to 2013, so if you are looking for a later bike the Evo is the only option.
    It depends on your budget of course but if you opt for the Evo I would factor in about £250 for an ecu reflash and although the suspension is adequate, to bring it up to the Ohlins standard you are probably looking at around £510 for a replacement Ohlins rear shock & £600 for front fork internals upgrade. You might be lucky & find an Evo that has already been upgraded for sale but they are not that common as people tend to hang on to them not least because they were the last 1000cc+ air-cooled Monsters built.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chris P. on the OKMOC forum has a 1100evo for sale.

9. I haven’t had the ecu flashed but it is fitted with Termi setup (cans, ECU and larger air filter etc.) also removed the lambda sensors and disconnected the exhaust valve. I find it runs quite well in that configuration but it’s a V twin after all so it’ll never be as smooth as an in line four! I can always change down for easier low speed stuff

10. I did similar: replaced the twin termis with an sc gp end can, removed the exhaust valve and 02 sensors, fitted a DP filter and then sent the ecu to cornerspeed.

it was a noticeable improvement but still needed +3 teeth on the rear to be perfect. Gearing is spot on now and the bike doesn’t shake like a shitting dog at low rpm.

ps I have my termis and DP ecu just sitting on the shelf, looking for a new home

11. If you do have the ECU reflashed you will need to decide if you want it for standard or open pipes. Neil at Cornerspeed is excellent.

12. I have owned 2 monster 1100 Evo before. I wanted an 1100s now, considering öhlins front and rear, among other things. I have bought myself a fantastic 1100s, but I have been unsure what is the difference between the engines on these? That's why I started this thread. When it comes to mapping the ECU, as well as the air filter combination, I have very good experiences with the following combination. MWR air filter together with Hypertrick mapping from Italia Bike Center in Arboga in Sweden. 20210212_123608.jpg 20180214_152806.jpg 20180215_152109.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. Hi,
    There are a number of differences between the M1100DS and M1100Evo engines.

* Stock M1100ds flywheel is around 1800g, the M1100Evo is 990g.
    Also the generator (magnet and rotor), are of the heavy type compare to the lighter version found on the M1100Evo.
    Would need to change the cover at the same time thou. Or make an adapter for the rotor. The stock M1100Evo & Hym110Evo cover is in Magnesium.
    Cover 1070g / 850g Rotor 1280g/1040g Magnet 1070g/700g
    In total generator & cover is 3,4 kg vs. 2,6 kg.
    You will find the same flywheel & generator on ex. 848 Evo.
    Note that some US supplied M1100Evo engines do have the same cover, generator and flywheel as M1100DS.
    * The Evo camshafts are different with power higher up. Will fit a M1100DS engine.
    * The Evo cylinder head is of different design to improve the oil cooling of the head, the horiz cylinder head & cylinder have an extra oil return near upper left stud and the LH camshaft cover have a new design with regard to the o-ring. And 64mm c-c for the inlet bolts.

Then the obvious dry/wet clutch & double/single spark.
    Cylinder and cylinder head is exchangeable as long as you take care of the extra oil return on horiz.
    Same internal piston oil cooling.
    No other obvious differences of the internal gears.

Note that intake, exhaust and ecu setup will also make a difference.

BR
    Henrik
    80DC96D2-A79A-4F6D-AFBB-8C69C50DDBD9.jpeg

upload_2021-3-3_22-40-29.gif

#14 hnracing, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  14. Would the lighter flywheel account in part for the snatchy engine characteristics at low revs?

15. Could be one factor, the other would be the ecu closed loop function.
    If it is not taken care of.

16. Thank you very much for the complementary answer. Great with a concrete description of the differences between the two engines. In the case of modified cylinder heads, and lubrication, is it possible to conclude that the Evo engine overall is a better engine than the DS?

17. Hi,
    Not really. It depends on what you want to do with the engine.

* Clutch
    The dry/wet clutch is hard to come around.
    A Monster "should" have a dry clutch?!
    Better with aftermarket dry slipper clutch for the track?
    Hard to find aftermarket wet slipper clutch for the M1100Evo.

* Camshaft
    Best turn-key performance for the Evo due to the cams.
    But evo cams can fit in ds engine and the DP cams will give even more power for the track.

* Singel/Dual spark
    Maybe better with dual spark when you go for HC pistons.

* Cylinder head
    The Evo seems to give better cooling and more material for porting.

So if a real Monster must have a dry clutch it is the DS.
    Best stock performance it is the Evo.
    Full race maybe the DS.

• Like Like x 2
  18. The monster has been owned by an Italian who has worked in the motoGP and SBK circus. Through his job, he has had a unique access to both components and competent employees. This is some of what has been done with it.

- Ohlin's fork tuned by SBK mechanic
    - Mupo rear shock
    - SBK slipper clutch
    - HPE exhaust

I really want to mount an NCR FACTORY RACING CAMSHAFT KIT in the engine. What is realistic power boost with this kit? It is claimed 20% power increase!
    A race map, MWR filter and HPE race exhaust will also be fitted What do you think about this hnracing?

NCR Factory Racing camshaft kit for Ducati 1000/1100. (carbon4us.com)

• Like Like x 1
  19. i'd be very surprised if cams alone could give 20bhp but would also be interested in the answer. i'm looking at building an 1100 engine with a superbike casing [additional oil capacity] to go into an 848 track bike chassis i acquired

Do Not Sell My Personal Information