1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 The Heat!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pavey, Jun 20, 2017.

1. My 1198 read 110° engine temp today riding though London and 34° outside temperature.

I got to a meeting and my shirt (under textile jacket and trousers) was soaked through. Was highly jealous of the scooter guys in shorts and t-shirts (and a fella on a ZX10 in shorts).

2. When I was coming out of Mugello t'other Sunday my engine temp was showing 124C and I felt the same! It was at that point I decided to stick it in some shade and wait two hours for the leaving throng to thin out. It was either that or me flinging the bike in the road and giving up completely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The crap route I choose for Jen-&-John's BBQ was just as bad for the guys on the sports bikes. I should of studied the route I was going too use more carefully. Chizel's bike showed 120degree's at one point he said...I felt awful & will never use the A444 again!

#3 GunZenBomZ, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. I've been going in on the train to London. No good me riding to clients and being drenched in sweat.

It does make riding in jeans and t-shirt very tempting. Did it around a town in Italy for a day once and it felt glorious. Every local was in shorts and T-Shirt so, if anything, I was over dressed in jeans and bike boots.

5. That's a bit toasty :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. My meeting today was on a dirty building site so sweat was part of the dress code ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Its been 34 all week in valleys in Alps. Rode home in 34 degrees too. On a panigale. Your tales of tiny violins sadden me. I may have to have an empathic sob or two.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It was serious. I've never felt/been dehydrated before. When we stopped I managed to blag a litre of water of which I poured half over my head to cool me down then drank the other half. I then managed to buy another litre which I drank too. I felt loads better for drinking the water and taking time out.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Arrrr that explains the chicken being half cooked when you got there!!!!
    Steve

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. When I lived in Sydney and the mercury hit close to 40, any lights I got stuck at was just torture...the 848 would cook my undercarriage
    Just riding in that shit was rough, the breeze you get on the move was just hot air
    I wondered if my bike would cook but all that got cooked was me

11. I was thinking the same thing today, is the bike going to ignite.

My 1198 kicks out heat right where the foot pegs are (the left side is the worst), and my legs have actually got light burn marks on them. It was so bad today i was balancing my toes at the very end of the foot pegs to keep them away for the escaping hot air.

12. I ride most of the time with my toes on the pegs. I used to feel it more on the back of the leg near my arse, It was more the pipe temp that was the major source of heat.
    My 899 has spent a lot around 103 the last few days, I get a bit of heat but its manageable. Let my guard down on Sunday when i got home, leathers off shorts on, move bike into the garage, my leg touched the clutch housing.....sweet jesus it made me jump.....and squeal

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Hypermotard, t-shirt, jeans, helmet lovelyntoday

14. That is high...

15. Have you been to the Alps? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. 37c here today, forecast for 39c on Friday. Even if the dealer phones to say that the Supersport is ready for collection, I don't think that I want to ride the 848 for 70 miles up to collect it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Had a track day last weekend here in Dubai - was 47 when I left the house at 4pm, it was almost tempting to run red traffic lights on the way to the track rather than stop. Once the sun went down it dropped to 40ish and wasn't too bad out on the circuit. At least there was plenty of heat in the Supercorsas! I think I drank 6 liters of water between leaving home and collapsing into bed that night.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information