1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Heath Robinson / Bodging Tool And Technique Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The Royal Maharaja, Mar 14, 2022.

1. heath_robinson_pancake.jpg

I'm sure there used to be a "Most Bodged Tool" thread in the past... So if you are someone who tightens a drill chuck with a 5mm drill bit and a flat screwdriver... this is the thread for you. Any homemade tools or techniques that achieve the required outcome, but prizes for the roughest contributions. (Wotsits)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. The idea for the thread came about as I came across my "Flywheel holding tool" - precision made and reliable after many years... A fine start:

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-14 at 19.38.43.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. :thinkingface:

4. 1C2240D3-507D-4292-B94E-A610EBCA78FE.png
    I made this at the tender age of 15 to find TDC on my then beast of a bike the mighty NSU Quickly
    Made from copper 22mm pipe over a hollowed out spark plug using a brass ‘depth gauge’ held together by a formed piece of carpet to Lino plate
    Necessity and being skint really is the mother of invention.

Worked well.

• Like Like x 5
  5. The ultimate bodge tools are always cable ties and gaffa tape. Fix anything.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. We could maybe add confessions too... :neutral:

(I've used a cold chisel instead of a C-Spanner...but haven't we all???o_O)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ha ha, I’ve used footprints on chrome taps!!

Only once mind!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. That’s ok then :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Surely a dinner knife instead of a flat screwdriver is the most used ever?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Footprint make the best chisels ever, they have a lovely shallow taper that is perfect to use as a drift and they will take a huge amount of abuse

• Like Like x 1
  11. MiL god rest her, always swore by traditional spud peeler for Philips type screws in those annoying battery operated children’s toys. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I once used an 8 berth static caravan chassis instead of a woodruff key.

Does that need some additional explanation?

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Family holiday in Devon when I was @12yrs old, staying in a static caravan right on the beach.

The boat engine had been serviced by a professional as Father had been working right up to the holiday.
    The flywheel nut hadn’t been tightened up so sheared the Woodruff key holding the flywheel to the crankshaft.

A spare woodruff key was a trip all the way back to Exeter and there was diving to do that afternoon.

I was the only one small enough to crawl under the caravan with a hacksaw to reach the readily available source of steel about the right thickness.
    1/2hr later with help from a file the new woodruff key had been shaped and the boat was back in action.

And a great excuse for me to post this image of my Father and his pride and joy which sets the scene with regard to the Caravan Beach scenario.
    IMG_000622.jpg

#13 Nasher, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
  14. Heathen!

15. Awesome Nasher :upyeah:

You started diving young then.

16. ^
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Chrysler outboard before.

17. My dad inherited one with an old boat he bought, it was badly corroded and a none runner, only fit for a rough ground sea anchor. It is probably still somewhere in the North sea....

18. I once hollowed out a static caravan to use it as a boat work shop
    I opened up and peeled back one end like a sardine tin to get my then GP13 in.
    Not so much a bodged tool as shed.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Bit of blue roll in a bolt head to hold it on the socket/key when putting into tight spot….learnt that tonight ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. I've been known to use a very small drop of superglue to keep a nut on the end of my finger when trying to get it on the end of a bolt in an awkward place or down a deep hole.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information