1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most spine-tingling engine sound - ever.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chris, Dec 24, 2012.

• Like Like x 6
  1. I once heard a TVR Speed 12 GT car indoors at a Top Gear live show (Earls Court?). That was mindblowing - you felt it through the floor, through your kidneys, reverberating in your bones, as well as hearing it. The bass note was incredible. In the same way that taiko drumming doesn't reproduce on CD, I doubt even if I could find a recording on youtube it would give you a true impression.

2. Ahh Chris, at last ,a jewel of a thread amidst the Christmas ( ba humbug) bollox.

That BRM V16 is Spinetinglingly delicious mate, could listen to stuff like that for hours.

I'm intrigued why us moto enthusiasts like it so much , it is just a noise, why is it so wonderful?

3. it may have been a dud, but as to sound....

#4 kope999R, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. from the past

#5 kope999R, Dec 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Honda does it for me, brings back so many memories.
    steve

6. Ferrari F40 LM just skip to about 30 seconds in. #unbefuckingleavable

#7 Mr C, Dec 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 2

7. A Merlin engine in a low flying Spitfire does it for me

#8 Richard H, Dec 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. claude lelouch famous movie

it's Ferrari sound on mercedes images... :)

#9 kope999R, Dec 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  9. I have just reached the pinnacle of parenthood - my son has labelled me "a complete saddo!" For going through all of the above with a smile on my face. thanks, and happy Christmas :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    #11 Char, Dec 24, 2012
  11. I have never heard it, but can remember reading a report in the late 70's after the launch of the Honda CBX, that told the story of its development and how the project engineers had recorded the sound of Phantom jet fighters taking off and landing at the local US air base. They then went back to the factory and built an exhaust system for the bike that exactly replicated the sound. The board felt that to have agreed to a 1000cc 6 cylinder with six carbs, twin overhead cams and 24 valves was quite enough... so on a dusty shelf somewhere in some Honda factory lies an exhaust system tuned to make a CBX sound exactly like a Phantom jet fighter - now that, I'd like to hear..

Wow! Just found a copy of the article Cycle Magazine 1979 Honda CBX Road Test (see bottom of page)

• Like Like x 1
  12. #13 JuZ, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Mine sounded quite nice with open pipe and turbo :wink:

14. Borgo

Excellent enthusiastic journalism on the CBX . some of my favorite bits :

The slightly rear-set footpegs, the width and height of the handlebars and the way the saddle positively locates the rider all result in a wonderfully stable operations platform from which to lead the orchestra.

But when the young engineers sat down at the banquet that was to be the CBX they reached beyond conventional aspirations of exhaust performance and towards the outer limits of motorcycle fantasy.

We told him we had something we wanted him to hear. He came, he listened, and he said, 'You've gone too far. The feeling of that noise is just too much. We cannot build motorcycles that sound like jet fighters.

So, Irimajiri concluded, they had to scrap the Phantom exhaust and build something more sensible. Now the bike sounds like a Porsche. But somewhere, collecting what passes for dust in the hospital-clean Asaka research facility, in the company of other experimental components which like Hemingway's Old Man went out too far, rests a mystical arrangement of pipes, tubes, baffles and screens which if attached to a certain six-cylinder, 24-valve engine, gives off the transcendental whoop of a deadly weapon of war

The journalist, now dressed, sprinted for the starting line and felt the ground. It was wet, which frequently happens when rain comes down.

It embodies extravagance without vulgarity and high style without pretense - you see muscles and tendons, not chrome and fussiness. It has been designed, not decorated. There is no trashiness in the concept, and none in the execution. The CBX is an immensely flattering bike with perfect elegance and total class, and history will rank it with those rare and precious motorcycles which will never, ever be forgotten.

• Like Like x 2
  15. That is in my top 5. Jeez did Walter Rohl have a heavy right foot that he liked to keep in!!! Love the way the old shorty s1 wheelied off crests.

Pagani Zonda R on a quick lap round the ring is top 5 material too.

Pagani Zonda R - Nurburgring lap - YouTube

These Integrale hillclimb monsters sound pretty sweet too. Love the way they pop, bang, suck and generally try to implode!!

Heard a V10 M5 being nailed on a local A road and thats a nice sound for sure.

Bike wise its twins or triples for me. 675 makes a nice sound as does any Duke on Termis.

Corners

#16 Corners R Us, Dec 24, 2012

16. Not mine but you get the idea. 180bhp on a 130 section tire :biggrin:

#19 ducv2, Dec 24, 2012
  17. Standing in between two top fuel dragsters at Santa Pod 'startline' did it for me...........

.......I thought it was good during practice, but Oh boy, when the eliminations started......

...the noise was unbelieveable (pardon?) but I reckon the vibrations through the ground was even better..........it went right up my legs.....

....I didn't even get that from my Harley.

AL

Do Not Sell My Personal Information