1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mystery Machine

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Lumbux, Feb 9, 2020.

1. So I picked up the new SS yesterday morning. Have had a quick look over and have taken a few photos, attached. Looks like a complete jumble of parts. I think that most of the bike is early 91-92 but things like the seat are definitely later, the seat is labelled 97. No engine number to gage the age. At some stage some one put a large amount of time in to the bike as all the alloy parts have been polished including the exhaust. I also noticed the the gold paint is coming off the frame in places and it looks to be purple underneath! I’m hoping I can get the bike stripped down over the next few months, powder coat the frame and the wheels white. Repaint the engine, rebuild the front shocks, brakes and clean up any other parts left. Possible plate all the nuts and bolts. Phots below and will update as things progress.

8B33AD26-60CF-4052-A59D-DFCE662FF80D.jpeg

80832F2D-19F3-4D40-8B46-BB65475B6A3B.jpeg

144305CB-57E9-47AE-AB65-F91A99E58508.jpeg

AF306FFB-CCED-47EF-8A4F-3B165885DDE0.jpeg

49ABB64E-D732-4A7C-913E-14A17D8B691F.jpeg

4751E3B1-35EB-4047-A6CD-93DDE24D5CA6.jpeg

C16B4FBE-E2B3-44A3-BCF0-0CC392FB0948.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Can't tell from the photo.....

Has the engine number been removed or was there never one there in the first place?

Or maybe is it a new casting to replace a damaged one?

AL

#2 Arquebus, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. Purple frame :bucktooth: is that worth more than a green frame :D
    Looks like a good project with all the required bits :upyeah:

4. I sold a purple frame last year....

5. Forks are the basic ones, would benefit from the fully adjustable

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. That was a Prince number wasn't it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. "Purple frame. Purple frame"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I was right about the swingarm.....I knew I wasn't going mad.

See your 750 one below,

Different to what is on your 900 and my 750......compare the pivot point.

WP_000147 (2).jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. you were singing that as you were typing Desmoquattro!!

you were right Al, forgot how the swing arm was, junior was the same. That’s was a great bike, should never have sold it. But onto pastures new. I’ve decided to make the 900 into a sort of replica to the bike that is on the front of Bike mag April 91, except for the engine as the mag bike has a paso engine I think. So white frame/ wheels with black callipers. I’ve sorted out the powder coating so will look to start the strip down over the next few weeks. Will be looking for a new front brake master cylinder as that’s all that’s missing, and will dull down the polished bits too.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Stein Dinse for the masters. Or upgrade to something better

11. Look forward to seeing that transformation!

12. The seat catch on the picture is an early one. The later seats have a pin that locates in to the mechanism.

I found a plater who would anodize the bolts, but minimum order was for a large lot. I went the stainless and titanium route in the end.

13. Started to look into powder coating, anyone have the RAL code for the white of the frame/wheels?

14. Found it Traffic white RAL9016

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. Do you mean the rear caliper position, if so mine is the same as Lumbux's only he hasn't got a bracing rod attached from what i can see.

16. Portboy, Al means the shape of the swing arm at the pivot point and where the grub screw is. My rear calliper seems to be firm but I was thinking that there should be a rod there to hold it, I think it bolts to the engine?

17. Here's mine

P1040080.JPG

18. That underslung caliper, with torque arm/rod, looks like a Superlight set up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. No I don't mean that......look at the pivot point at the engine end on both Paul's bikes.

20. Got you now, you have done me before with your hawk like vision, my pivot point is the same as Lumbux latest acquisition with the weld at a slight angle and closer to the pin.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information