1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The One Bloody Time I Did Not Turn The Helmet Camera On....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by shyboy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ...And a car coming the opposite direction decides to turn right into their driveway causing me to crash into its side.

Lost consciousness
    Woke up with policeman trying to talk to me
    Huge gash on the leg, May need plastics/grafts to repair
    Broken wrist
    sprained foot
    fractured thumb

The thing is. I always turn on the cam. When looking at the history i have two files / day. One to work and one back. Obviously on the day of the accident, for some unknown reason, i did not turn it on.

Obviously no witnesses so its my word against his. police do say he admitted to crossing my path to turn to his drive but i wont be content until i hear that its all settled as a non fault claim.

Not seen the bike yet but think its a write-off. Ducati 1200R (only 2 years old)
    Stay safe everyone. Some crazies out there these days.

I almost wish it was my fault as at least then i can promise myself to improve my riding but in this case, the car just literally swung in front of me at the last second. I remember thinking to myself just prior to impact that there is absolutely no point in hitting the breaks. I did but my brain was right. There was no point :D

#1 shyboy, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Not good. Hope you make a quick recovery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sod’s law... everytime anything interesting happens mine is switched off - i have some of the most boring footage ever. Good luck i hope everything works out - injuries and claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Glad your mostly okay chap.

5. Hard luck, glad you didn't suffer more in the way of injuries. Hope that the claim is quickly resolved with the other party 100% liable.

6. That sounds really shiting painful. GWS.

7. speedy recovery Bud

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GWS glad your here to tell the tale

9. Sorry to hear that ,best wishes on physical and mechanical recovery.

10. Glad your ok mate bikes can be fixed or replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Get well soon mate

12. He's admitted fault so you should be fine on insurance side, just glad to hear you're ok (within reason of cosmetic and structural damage reported).
    Sell the helmet cam and fit a Howitzer...…..

13. Glad you are OK, get well soon. As @cookster said bikes can be fixed, people take a bit more time

14. Blimey mate, lucky escape in many ways ..... get well soon

15. Glad you're not too bad and thread moved.

16. That’s crap news but it could have been worse.
    Hopefully you’ll repair as good as new.
    Phone White Dalton Solicitors as you’ll need someone in your corner and in my opinion they’re the best.
    Take care.

17. Hard wired to the front of the bike and set to come on with ignition. I would always forget mine if I had it any other way.

Any neighbouring houses with cctv should the sod change their mind and contest?

Had similar many years ago with a chap swinging into his work car park, from the right hand lane... across me in the left lane o_O

£34 footrest on the bike as I kept it upright. .. £2.5k damage to his girlfriends mini :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wasn't obvious to me :)

19. Sorry to hear that but glad you're OK bud. My wife got twatted off her Monster 620ie by some muppet in a scaffolding lorry pulling out into a keep clear section on the road whilst she was filtering along the outside lane (perfectly legally as the police officer pointed out). Fortunately plenty of witnesses. Broken left ankle where it was crushed by the lorry, rotator cuff injury and some spectacular bruises, all at 7mph! Driver admitted liability and plenty of witnesses fortunately. Bike was repaired eventually and she ended up getting compensation but it took an age to sort out and her shoulder is still not right. Not sure when she will be able to ride again but the bike is perhaps better now then when I last restored it and it certainly hasn't put her off. Got to keep your wits about you these days as I was knocked off my bike a few years back and ended up with a nasty leg injury. All mended now. Anyhow get well soon and hopefully you'll get a confirmation of his admittance of liabilty from the police report which ought to be enough to get the ball rolling in any subsequent claim procedure.

20. Treat all cagers as 5 yr olds. Utterly random. Sorry you got the sh#tty end of the stick. Get well.x

Do Not Sell My Personal Information