1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Their Off....

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by mcr998, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Well one is any way. So after nearly a year of gentle persuasion, heating, lots of different lubricants, some nylon rod and a hammer I have finally separated the rear cylinder head on my project 750. Only casualty was a fin on the cylinder block, its a fairly large piece so i might be able to re-attach it. If not I have a set of barrels and pistons off a 97 750 which should fit.l
    Thanks goes to Geoff Baines who gave me the nylon tip, and also informed me the front cylinder would be ten times worse. Next update in 10 years then :p

• Like Like x 3
  2. What do you do with the nylon rod? I have a project engine and the rears off. The front is not and I have tried for some time with no success.

3. Ah I thought someone may ask. I have 2 x 20 mm nylon rods about 300 mm long which I used; one on the bearing end cap and the other on the pulley wheel/nut and a mallet to hammer off the head. Geoff also said to use some nylon wedges to start separating the head from the barrel. With the nuts off the cylinder I used a couple of gas blow torches to heat the head for about a hour or so to let the head expand. Repeated this several times and the wedges, and slowly I managed to separate to two.

4. Ah, thanks. I've left mine for about a year as I couldn't get it to budge. It's been unused for a looking time.
    I'll give that a try as it sounds like a good method. I was considering destroying the cases to get the head and barrel as I dont need the cases, they wont fit the frame I am using. But this might work for me. Thanks
    Ian

5. Ducati John left mine to soak in (i think) desisel for a couple of weeks before attempting the front. It had been sat for 13-4 years

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information