1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thezebra Puzzle

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by CRYSTALJOHN, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Here's a great puzzle. Took me about 10 hrs. The mate who sent it to me- who's a clever bugger and is a highly ranked Go player, took about 1 1/2 hrs to complete.
    Top tip before you engage: Cut out 25 labels with all the data written down to enable easy swapping of positions.
    The Zebra Puzzle

The Zebra Puzzle is a logic puzzle said to be invented by Albert Einstein (but who knows), and Wikipedia says that only 2% of the world population is able to solve it (also who knows, but it really made me want to solve it). Here’s how it goes:

The puzzle consists of five different-colored houses in a row, each lived in by a resident of a different nationality. Each resident owns a different pet, prefers a different drink, and smokes a different brand of cigarettes than the others.

You’re given 15 other facts:

1. There are five houses.
    2. The Englishman lives in the red house.
    3. The Spaniard owns the dog.
    4. Coffee is drunk in the green house.
    5. The Ukrainian drinks tea.
    6. The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house (to your right as you stand facing the row of five houses).
    7. The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
    8. Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
    9. Milk is drunk in the middle house.
    10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    11. The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
    12. Kools are smoked in a house next to the house where the horse is kept.
    13. The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
    14. The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
    15. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    To solve the puzzle, tell me:

1) Which man likes to drink water

2) Which man owns a zebra

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  2. i know. but wont spoil it. :upyeah:

• WTF WTF x 1
  3. Joking aside Finm. I think that anyone who fault finds vechile problems, with all the neccessity of taking logical steps with a sprinkling of Intuition would no doubt excell at this. Give it a go, it will keep you away from mischief.

4. i googled it. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wow, Einstein knew a lot of brands of American cigarettes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Well I guess living there gave him a head start :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. That was fun . Thanks

I did it on the back of an envelope in about 30mins according to the other half .
    Am I a genius or just lucky ?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Not enough data. It's only assumption that someone likes to drink water and someone owns a zebra (the assumption being that whoever is left over without a pet and without a drink preference are the correct answers).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information